Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic

At the last National Board of Directors Meeting in Ontario, California, the board unanomously approved the CDPC class for all Nationally Sanctioned Meets. We are excited about this new program and feel it will meet the needs of our club members and prepare us for the future.

This class was originally approved by the VCCA Board of Directors in 2005 to promote the driving and showing of our antique Chevrolet vehicles. The intent of the VCCA CDPC is to encourage the VCCA members, who generally use their Chevrolets for touring and who feel their Chevrolets condition is not up to National judging standards, a venue to participate in our National Meets.
All vehicles entering this class are not point judged but certified that they meet the CDPC requirements. After the vehicle has completed the Field Entrance Check, it must be driven to the CDPC designated area on the show field. The certification team will consist of at least 2 members. This team will be assigned by the Chief Judge in the same manner as regular judges. Before the team can perform the certification inspection, the CDPC form must be signed by the owner, field check completed and marked for an approved fire extinguisher. When the evaluation is completed, the form will be marked, certified or rejected and all team members sign the form. If the vehicle is rejected, a written comment as to why will be given in the space provided on the CDPC form. All vehicles must be evaluated before forms are turned in to tabulation. The awards chairman will maintain a list of certified vehicles.

More information on this will be coming in the G and D very soon.

Steve

Steve Scott- VCCA Judging Committee
1985 Type 10 Cavalier Conv.
1986 Cavalier RS Conv.
https://nirvcca.wordpress.com/
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
There is considerable positive interest in this from the Mile High Region. Most of us think this is long overdue.

We look forward to seeing the details on how you will implement this new class!

Chevy50Jim

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Looking forward to learning more about CDPC, sounds maybe like a way to keep improving your vehicle while looking to the future and having some fun.

Last edited by Louis C.; 04/06/07 06:59 PM.

People are like a box of chocolates you never know what you are going to get...
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
I just wish that we'd come up with more friendly "common" names for these classes... The CDPC doesn't roll off the tongue very well... but then neither did the HOPFUC ... oh whatever the OTHER one is called.

What's the chances of calling these two categories

• Touring Class, and
  • Original Class

My .02 worth...

--Bill

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Right on brother. Those initial things just don't work for me. If they made a word, like an acronym, it would be OK. Like MADD - - Mother's Against Drunk Driving. But they don't and they are hard to remember and impossible to "say."

"Touring Class" and "Original Class" makes a lot of sense.... Just plain old "common sense."

Bill.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
The problem with using the word original is that lots of people don't understand what original is. I have heard them say it is restored to original. It can't be both ways.

See you Touring the Back Roads

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
With all these acronyms that the young people in this club don't understand,mabey someone in the VCCA should create a VCCA dictionary for all the acronyms so we can look them up and understand what the hell they mean.My company (Intel) created a dictionary of this sort and it works great for all the new employees. Just a thought...Oscar idea idea idea

OSCAR ALBRETSEN
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
The National Council of Corvette Clubs (NCCC) has five classes, which have worked well for them for many years:
* Concours Prepared (Like or better than it came from the dealer)
* Race Prepared
* Modified (4 Major Mods)
* Street/ Show (You may have to prove you drove it 50+ miles)
* Wash & Show (No under hood judging)

Chevy50Jim

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
The Model A Restorers Club (MARC) has three. Fine Point Judging (as the show room)., Driving Class (must be authentic but driven, Marc of Originality (un-restored original authentic)with no class winner. It receives a Marc of Originality oval if the judges agree it is original. All judged vehicles must drive in the MANDITORY TOUR of a minimum of 6 miles to receive an award in any class.

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Ok Backroads, so the last class would be VCCA Original, rather than Marc original,for us?

1) Fine Point Judging
2) Driving Class
3) VCCA original

Sounds direct and to the point, that would work for me.

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Sounds like maybe #3 would be our HPOCF?

People are like a box of chocolates you never know what you are going to get...
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Yep, It sounds like that to me!

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Yes, gentlemen, that is the direction the board has taken. We will be having

Class Judging
CDPC Chevrolet Driver Participation Class
HPOCF Historic Preservation of Original Chevrolet Features

After many years and many miles traveled and talking to many members, this seems to be what will best serve our membership. I want to add that the Class Judging still allows those members who drive their vehicles but restores or preserves their Chevrolets historically correct to be able to advance in our system. "Trailer Queens" along with drivers can achieve the Junior and Senior Oval and the Preservation Boards, Tabs and Miniatures. That is an important point.

Last edited by novasscott; 04/22/07 09:54 PM.

Steve Scott- VCCA Judging Committee
1985 Type 10 Cavalier Conv.
1986 Cavalier RS Conv.
https://nirvcca.wordpress.com/
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
To qualify for the Model A Driving Class the vehicle must be authentic. No modifications. Correct engine, wheels, brakes, sheetmetal. The person entering a vehicle in this class must judge vehicles other than his own.

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I'm not sure I understand the CDPC Class.

The explanation in the July G & D states in one place "This class is for non-modifiedChevrolet vehicles 25 years or older."

In another place it lists exceptions "sealed beam/ halegon headlights" then "electrical upgrades, air conditioning, overdrive system and altered exhaust."

This looks to me like we are one step closer to welcomeing modified cars into VCCA. What am I not understanding here?

Thanks for helping me out.

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
As a 30 plus year member of the VCCA, I understand this is a "tricky" area. It can create a lot of discussion and even argument. However, in a time when the VCCA is striving to increase membership (some say 10k by 2011 meet), it seems to me there's room in this club for cars that aren't 100% stock. What's wrong with wide white radials?? Or duals?? Or extra teeth in a 54 grille?? Or bluedots?? Or a convertible (all vinyl) interior kit in a hardtop?? Etc. Etc. Probably NOT for judging. But for fun and enjoyment on a "tour" car. And maybe even for judging classes. Personally, I like the idea of 2-3 classes. Like some of the clubs have that have 1000's more members than we do. Maybe something like 3 classes. One for Restored to Original; another class for cars with Moderate (2-3 ??) Changes. And thirdly, Modified (more than 3changes and changes that could include V-8 in original 6 cylinder cars and so on).

Please don't waste your time telling me I haven't read our mission statement. Or that I don't understand it. I know what it is and I understand it completely. And basically I subscribe to it. Because that's how it is. BUT, maybe it's time to consider changing it. In an effort to increase membership. Just my two cents....

Bill.

(Footnote: NO, the above ideas for a 54 Bel Air hardtop do NOT describe my 54 hardtop. But, I've thought about it....)

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Thanks for your reply Bill. As a 46 year member I'm not sure change is always for the better. I do believe if the B.O.D. want to make a change to accept modified vehicles then do it and we'll see where that takes us. Don't do it one piece at a time.I believe another Chevrolet Club for stock vehicles would be started. I'm not sure in all cases that more is better.It would probably be for 1911 - 1942 or 1911 - 1954 vehicles.

I have been on tours with 400 vehicles and other tours with 50 vehicles. I can tell you the friendship is much better on the 50 vehicle tours.

It all depends on what a preson likes.

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Jim -

I'm pretty confident that the BOD is no where near making a major change to accept modified vehicles. At least, not 'significantly' modified. The language in the CDPC article you refer to tries to spell out a very specific, limited list of 'upgrades' that would be accepted. These are cars which we already see at typical VCCA events anyway. You will notice it did NOT accept 'flames painted on fenders,' 'chrome V8's' or anything approaching that type of vehicle.

I would suggest (if you haven't already) reading the sting entitled "suggestion" for some general philosphy on the whole topic.

The VCCA is a Club that is about Stock old Chevys. That's our niche, and we do it very well. There are plenty of clubs that cater to heavily modified vehicles, and we don't plan to compete with them. On the other hand, we don't want to turn our back on a Chevy (or member) that has a few minor changes to allow the car to be driven and enjoyed by the owner. It must still be "visually representative of the VCCA Mission Statement." We are not opening any floodgates here, just recognizing some realities about what our typical members do with their cars. Nor are we diluting the meaning of a Senior Oval, etc. The standards all remain in place.

I agree that Bigger is not always Better. At the same time, we can't afford significant shrinkage.

Don W
Prez

Chevy Guru
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Now there's two (maybe three counting mine) thoughtful, un-emotional posts about the whole situation. I'd say most of "us" agree that the VCCA will never be about heavily, visually modified cars. But, I do think it's important to follow Prez Don's advice when a guy with duals or blue dots or similar 'minor' bolt-on-type changes shows up.

On the other hand, we don't want to turn our back on a Chevy (or member) that has a few minor changes to allow the car to be driven and enjoyed by the owner. It must still be "visually representative of the VCCA Mission Statement."

Let's face it, we talk in here all the time about lower number/higher speed gears and 216 upgrades to 235's and modern paints and so on. Clearly these are modified cars. But those mods seem perfectly acceptable.

One of my main concerns is the VCCA is at basically zero growth. Something like ten in and 9 out. It doesn't seem prudent to be too overly cautious about keeping our gene-pool perfectly "clean" when we're trying to grow.

Bill.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Don, Your remarks are reasuring. Thank you.

Jim

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
i also find don s reply reasuring i think we all can exchange information the main reason i joined vcca is because i like see chevys like they used to be if i go to a vcca meet i expect to see chevys like they rooled off the line as munch as possable i have more friends with modified car then stock i can go almost any where to see modified cars i know some changs are a must sometimes but to me i like the club for what it stands for now just an average member saying what he likes do not mean i think other people should not like what they like differt clubs for differt things love old chevys smitty

smitty
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Guys,
Some very good posts/comments on this subject.
I've been a VCCA member for several years and love stock/orig/survivor type cars.I own 2 '70 Impala custom coupes.One is a very nice low mile stock car that has earned a 1st Junior and 1st Senior(recieved senior at st jo's 07 mwm)and will be at 07 Central meet to go for Preservation status.My other 70 Impala is a fun Summer cruiser that I do not use for any VCCA functions.It is all stock except for dual exhaust w/turbos,radial redlines and a custom auto-sound stereo.

The CDPC as written describes my fun 70 to a T!I live in the Chicagoland area and we have very active cruise nights/local car show season.I can honestly go to a large cruise night 6 days a week where a minimum of 100 cars gather(we have several where 300-400 routinely show up weekly).

What I am getting at is the average,"Stock",Chevy enthusiast runs a car similar my cruiser 70 in mods.And most cruise night goers consider this to be stock.

I think going forward,especially 2-3 years out the CDPC will be a very popular class at future VCCA meets.I especially like the fact that these cars will have their own class/awards/recognition system.

I also believe our judging teams will be tested by some cars/owners starting in '08 that will push the envelope of the written CDPC class rules.We just need to be consistant in our interpretation of the CDPC rules and we will do well.

I'm sure we've all seen this all the time at what I call the,"Tasty Freeze Nationals"local shows.There is always some guy who trys to fudge the rules/classes to better position himself for that $10 trophy!

IMHO,this type of Chevy is where VCCA is going to draw the most new members from in the future. My thoughts,Jim Downum NIR

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
The real topic I think is membership. If we had membership growth and retention, probably "modified" or "correctly appearing" would not so pationately be discussed. The truth is, VCCA continues to struggle with membership. From January 1984 to January 1994 we had a net loss. From January 1994 to January 2004 we had a gain of approximatley 18%. On the down side, for the last seven years, our membership has been flat.

I have only been a memeber 32 years so some of the old timers will think I have ways to go to speak with any authority. I can tell you though no one ever has come up to me and said "do you belong to VCCA?" or "you should be a member of VCCA". If you see someone with a collector Chevrolet and they don't have a VCCA emblem, talk to them about joining. Spend as much time talking about positive aspects and less about negative.

If you like judging, go for it, we have a place for you. If you want to just drive and show your car, go for it, we have a place for you. If you like to take trips with other Chevrolets fans, go for it, we have a place for you. I am planning my own "tour" and have other VCCA Chevolets friends who are joing me. There will most likely be some incorrect parts and pieces on some of the cars, but I really don't care. I dare say the majority of the people who see us going down the road will never know.

I am on the judging committee and I know there are areas of concern. You have a dedicated person working on that. I am also on the membership committee, and I can tell you the judging committe is only a result of memebership, not vica versa.

How many memebers did you get to join in the last 12 months?

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Well said Roadster 32

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
<<<<How many memebers did you get to join in the last 12 months?

Hello Roadster,
If your above question is directed at me....the answer is 1.
I carry VCCA/NIR membership lit in my vehicles and I do not hesitate to whip them out! Jim

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.