Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Tims37 Offline OP
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
Just makes me kringe to think about a nice car like this being made into a 60 gasser :( mad

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1&viewitem=&item=160112968922

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
:( curse It just about makes you sick to see such a nice car cut up but it is his and I guess he can do what he wants with it. I can't for the life of me figure out why hot rodders are willing to take one of the few good old cars left and do that to it. Why don't they just convert junkers. That is bad enough but to ruin a perfectly good example of an old car is sad. It will be forever gone. Beamer

Chat Region Member
2017 GMC Canyon
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
I dont understand? I have talked to this guy he is a very nice man. He has had the car for a long time. he is 62 and in his younger days he had a 37 Chevy gasser coupe and used to pop the left front tire up off the ground hitting second gear. Now he is goeing to build the same car he had, paint wheels and all, and he wants to pop both! front wheels up hitting second gear. I give him props. I think that would be a very cool 37 coupe sorry!

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
I think he needs poped upside the head...Oscar sick :cry: :(

OSCAR ALBRETSEN
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Hey Patrick,

I just sent you a 'private message' in Chevy Chat.....

Bill.

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
There's a lot of truth in what Beamer says, including this part of his post....

....but it is his and I guess he can do what he wants with it.

I don't disagree with any of the comments in this thread. From my perspective, I can say I've seen 37's that were very nice 'restored to originals' and others that were very nice 'street rods.'

I suppose the bottom line in this whole idea is it's "his" car, and "he" can do - - - ya-da, ya-da, ya-da.....

Bill.

Tims37 Offline OP
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
I guess I am torn a little I really like originals and street rods
It is still hard for me to see a nice original cut up but you are right it is his to do what ever he wants. :cry:

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
What raises my blood pressure was demonstrated at the recent Portland Swap Meet. There were several cars that had been cut up to make "I don't know what" and up for sale because the owner either ran out of money, had a change of heart, discovered he had made a bad mistake by cutting up the frame, was not near as exciting as he thought it would be, decided to purchase one already destroyed, or any number of reasons. In most cases they were butchered so badly you couldn't make anything out of what was a pipe dream.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
There should be a law against it...Oscar mad :eek: mad

OSCAR ALBRETSEN
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
See, this is why I hope that there could be a "softening" of negative opinions towards that same 37 coupe being (only) lowered and piped....

[Linked Image from i178.photobucket.com]
I guess my buddy's 38 seems a little more "correct" now, even with the bumpers needing paint stripes and the few other items that were pointed out that were "wrong" with it.

Here's one more to drive the point home, and it was in Lowrider for heaven's sake!

I don't mean to sound too sarcastic there, and I had a FANTASTIC experiece with a VCCA member this morning on getting me some information on my 37, I just want to continue to campaign for more respect to be given to Chevys that are only lowered and piped, it could be worse as you can see!

Lowered and piped, too many accessories, and rollin' on bias plys!
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
And I really shouldn't send this before lunch....

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Wrong plates on the black 37...Oscar bigl bigl bigl

OSCAR ALBRETSEN
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Oscar, I can't tell, is this the correct Hampton kit upolstery for a 37?

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w271/u979706/37badinterior2.jpg

I like them a little lower than this though....

wink

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
I don't know, I don't know what it is. Are those Mustang seats with a Chevy Bowtie? Did the Lakers pick this color?...Oscar bigl bigl bigl

OSCAR ALBRETSEN
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Well, I have another take on this issue. If you put articles and pictures of these street rods on here, it is just going to make a bunch of VCCA guys angry and stress them out, Is that what you want to do?
I have enough to be angry about and stressed out about. I just want this club to continue restoring, showing and driving these old original and restored to stock, Chevrolets without knocking a guy that don't share our views.
Nothing we can do about someone that likes to modify cars, we can't save them all.
Invite one or two street rodders with a "Looks almost stock" car or truck to your club meeting tour or show and let them see how we socialize and have fun restoring the old Chevrolets. Maybe that will get some of them to come over from the "Dark side". Also some of our VCCA members are also street rodders that also like the stock original cars. I don't want to dislike someone because of the car he drives. Some of us have stock original cars and also have a street rod in the garage.

How do you feel about the guy that tows his restored Chevrolet with a Tundra or a diesel Ram or a Powerstroke?

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Can the VCCA be everything to everybody??? I don't think so. Our stated position is: DEDICATED TO THE PRESERVATION AND RESTORATION OF CHEVROLETS I don't know how you could better state it. There are numerous clubs for rods, gassers, and ect. I have no intention of joining one of those clubs and then DEMAND THEY FOLLOW MY RULES.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
personaly, I came here because. I have always loved the old chevy coupes. My favorite is the 37. I have wanted one since I was a boy. I have had manny cars. never had enough money to get one.Untill I found one on a fluke. traded some stuff I had for sale for it it wasnt much. a 38 sedan floor and 1/4 panels, a coupe shell with no floor, no firewall no pass. side door bullet holes rust ect. ect.. a set of ruff fenders. a rusty decklid. and a cowell chunk cut at the a pillers and accross the floor. oh ya a frame that was cut about 4" behind the fire wall.
I just wanted some info and tips.Maybe find some parts to buy or a place to look. I love the cars. this is the only way I would ever get one is build it myself. so I am I have managed to cut grind weld bend beat and pice together a full body and frame no grill, no int. no trim no running gear yet. but I will get it together one way or another. I didnt mean to offend anyone or piss ya all off and I am sorry if I did I just thought you guys all loved the cars also. not loved the cars only if its 100 % stock.Is this not about the love of the car. I would even love to have the one with the ugly purple yellow and green. I would change it if it was mine but its not. But, what it is a 38 sedan no matter how they change it , and I like the old Chevys. all of them if that means I dont belong her just say so

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
You got it Ray, There isn't any other place for me to go to do what VCCA has stood for for all these years. I appreciate how other folks feel but, come on over and see how we do things, and then if you agree stay and enjoy, if not maybe you are at the wrong place. Go forth and do your own thing, just don't try to change us. We have no other place to play.

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
As I get older I find I miss the old traditions, and the people who respect them. It seems too many people want to take everything down the slippery slope by chipping away at the core values of organizations and society. As such, I couldn't agree more with Ray when he wrote that basically a mission statement is a mission statement and that is that.

I am retired. Last year for my 65th birthday, my wife bought me a 1941 Chev that was born the same year as I was. My dad had one before he went into the service, and my mother drove it through much of WWII. We picked one that was a well-used driver that needed a lot of refreshing, but, with the exception of 15" tires, a 3-carb manifold and after-market(read cheap) interior, was basically stock at the core with no dents or rust. It was my intention to make a hobby out of bringing it back to original status.

With the exception of a Model A I had in high school, I had NEVER done any mechanical work on a car. I had trouble adapting to putting gas in my car when they went to self-service. So I knew I was going to need a lot of help.

The previous owner was a member of VCCA and it was recommended that I join to get help with my project, and give me a group of people to share my love of old cars who would stress redoing it in its correct, classic form.

While I have a friend who used to build and race Formula 1 cars to help me with the hands-on work, I have found this group to be invaluable in my doing my project. When I post a question, the responses have always been professional and quick; and no one has ever told me that it was a stupid question. Even when people disagree they do it with respect and good humor. After a year of getting advice and doing research, I have even reached the point where I can now be of help to others on a limited basis.

I also like hot rods and retro rods, and attend a number of their shows including the Goodguys show in Scottsdale. HOWEVER, it is so refreshing to have a place to go where like-minded people respect the old values and want to keep the cars "pure." And, I would never suggest to the Goodguys that they change their mission.

While I totally agree that once a person buys a car they can do anything they want with it, but PLEASE, let's keep this club and this forum for people who want to restore, show, and drive classic Chevrolets and help others do the same.

David

Last edited by Dr David; 05/09/07 12:32 PM.

David

Sunbird advice: When the temperature outside is lower than your age, it is time to head south.

Hubris is as hubris does!
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
AMEN BROTHER.

p.k.

1956 BEL AIR 2 DOOR HARDTOP

I've spent most of my money on Booze,Women and mechanical things. The rest I just Wasted........

Remember , I'm not Always Right. But I'm Never Wrong !
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
[quote=Dr David] Even when people disagree they do it with respect and good humor.

I couldn't agree more David, this is why I posted the pictures I did, and I don't think you could find more extreme examples of vintage Chevys that were modified in, how should I say this, questionable taste. wink Obviously I meant those to be completely tongue in cheek, let's have some fun here!!!

I agree with most of what you said about the traditions of the club, but the latest G & D has an advertisement that says the following under the tag, "The VCCA wants YOU!!!"

"...The VCCA is building a team of "member volunteers" to help us improve our great club and move us boldly into the 21st century - to make "VCCA" a household word..."

"...We want to build awareness of the VCCA..."

"...We want Market Share..."

Does that mean we change the whole share mission of the club and make it come one, come all with every form of Chevy? I don't think so - Ferrari, Cobra, Auburn, Packard and lately Muscle Car clubs have no problem keeping the "bloodlines pure", as it were, and keep their "market share" and club awareness well intact.

But what do those clubs probably have in common? Fresh, modern newsletters, up to date club logos and paraphernalia (many of you probably didn't want to hear that, sorry), and yes, young new blood coming into the club.

And most importantly, those vehicles have perceived value. It is my opinion that when bone stock, show winning Model As became worth $12K, and a street rodded version was worth $50K or more, that was the death knell of stock Model A popularity, and those clubs began to wither. If there is an overwhelming focus on early 30s or older, 3 bearing, non-syncro, mechanical brake cars that were Boomers grandparents cars, this could present a problem for future growth of the club (many of you will not like to hear that, and I want to preserve those cars more than anyone, but I'm afraid boomers and future members will only want to turn them into rods whether we like it or not).

There is no problem with the popularity of 55 and up Chevys, their value is solid and most are restored stock or only "resto-modded" to a point these days. But we are probably competing with too many clubs for this era of vehicle to make even a dent on that "market share".

I'm biased here because I own a 37, but the 37 - 54 Chevys are in a middle ground that has some wonderful growth and value potential with the right marketing approach. These cars are all steel, have hydraulic brakes, mostly syncro transmissions, are extremely well built and can be driven in almost all modern driving conditions, especially with some mild, "hidden" modifications (better gears, internal engine improvements, etc.).

I think we are missing a growing market here as well, as I have said over and over again, and that is the relatively young, Southern CA movement towards accessorizing 37 - 54s to the hilt, lowering them slightly, and maybe adding some dual pipes. These are otherwise lovingly restored to original cars. It is a predominantly Latino style (I happen to be a "Gabacho", or white guy as my local club members are lovingly referred to by Latinos), but remove your perceptions about hydraulics, tiny wire wheels, murals and crushed velvet interiors. And these cars have VALUE. Well accessorized cars that have GM compasses worth $3K, GM skirts worth $2K, Peckat visors worth $1.5K, and so on, that are slightly lowered and piped, are fetching upwards of $50 and $60 thousand dollars in CA right now! I am seeing non-accessorized, similar cars in G & D for $15K - $20K - that is not good for public perception of value.

The "lowered and piped" Chevy isn't the only "saving grace", or type of car that we should promote, don't get me wrong, but we need to push to have restored Chevys of the 37 - 54 era be on the lawn at Pebble Beach or any other prestigious concourse event. 42 - 52 Fleetlines have often been compared to Bentleys and Pierce Arrows, 42 - 48 "Helmet" Fleetlines are often compared to Cadillacs of the era, a woody kit 42 - 48 Convertible can compare to a Ford Sportsman or Chrysler Town & Country, and Woodies of this era are in a class by themselves. Heck, I have even had my "slantback" 37 sedan compared to a Lincoln Zephyr! If 6 cylinder Packards, Nashes and Hudsons are beginning to get their due in concourse judging and in value, we need to get our 37 - 54 Chevys there as well!

If we take an "everybody do what they want" attitude, and think that the yellow and purple car above might be okay for the club if that is what the owner wants to do, we might have a problem with perception of value if you know what I mean!

I plan to sign up for this new team (my degree is in Marketing by the way), and I would love to hear more opinions and inputs so I can get an idea of where we can go with all of this. If you care about this club, please respond to this thread!!!

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Richard:

I will let others deal with perceptions of value and "updating" a club. But I would like to make two points.

1) There is a difference between approaching a topic with "good humor" and making fun of the topic.

2) If you have a degree in marketing you understand the concept of "niche" marketing. Based on its mission statement, this club was established to serve a very small, niche market. It must be very careful that in reaching out to new markets it does not drive away it core. Several years ago Talbott's decided to expand their market of traditional women to include a younger, "hip", market. In the end, they drove away their niche market and did not appeal to the new market. They lost market share, sales, and profits.

And, as a famous Greek philosopher once said: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Since this is not a for-profit enterprise, it's mission is to serve people of like-minds, not expand market share by changing its core values. As a committee of one I'd like to keep the core values of the club even if it means that it has a smaller number of members. The goal should be to use marketing skills to find new members of a like mind, not slide down the slope just to attract bodies.

David

David

Sunbird advice: When the temperature outside is lower than your age, it is time to head south.

Hubris is as hubris does!
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
David, to your points:

1) I guess humor is pretty subjective, but if we can't poke a little fun on this topic with the pictures I posted, then we are taking this all a little too seriously!

2) Yes I understand niche marketing, and I know that when you market something to a niche demographic, it better be something of unique value and dersirablitiy to make it worth your while. I am sure there is a national Pinto club out there, but I don't think they are going to become a "household" word like the VCCA would like to become (and there is nothing wrong with that frankly).

3) I will close with these pictures of an unbelieveable 39 Chevy Convertible Sedan (made in Germany, not a "custom")resently restored by a gentleman by the name of Tutu, a member of a CA club called "Puente Viejo". The owner has turned down several 6 figure offers for the car already, and if anyone believes a lowered and piped car like this one (with huge value) will make the VCCA "slide down a slope" to attract bodies, I'd like to hear about it!

[img]
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w271/u979706/IMG_0279.jpg[/img]
[Linked Image from i178.photobucket.com] [Linked Image from i178.photobucket.com]
[img]
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w271/u979706/IMG_0276.jpg[/img]

Anybody for a "VCCA Bombitas" chapter, judging class or marketing effort after seeing this car?

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
No thanks...Oscar

OSCAR ALBRETSEN
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Wrong hose clamps Oscar? wink

Anybody else agree with Oscar? Maybe I am beating a dead horse here, too bad.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.