Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
These Days i took my first run after 6 Years of Restoration. Did the Electric new, with new wires and much more Fuses than original, for better Health. Everything was fine after a first electric test. Then i brought the car to the upholstery, that was half a year ago.Last month was the first engine start, runs fine, but when tested the wires by hand, noticed that the armored cable from the ignition coil to the ignition lock got very hot.
In panic cut off the battery and thought about what is different to half a year before?? To make it short, it was this Condenser. The upholsterer must have touched it during his work, so that it made contact with a screw from the dashboard - ground contact. After removing the condenser, there was no more wire heating and I could start for the first ride. But after one mile, the engine gets out of run and i hade a little smoke under the dash sick . Yo know - Panic, Battery, Troubleshooting wink The only thing i found, was a metal antenna connection socket hanging down, which was still left over from the old wiring and carried electricity?! Here again ground contact with a chassis part.I then fixed the part securely for testing and the car started up again and nothing smoked, so I guess I found the problem.
Now its time to come to the real problem. Here i wrote about my first ride with the car. The last days i made some adjustments to improve engine running. Valve adjustment, Carburator, Ignition Timing and so on. But somehow the engine ran pretty rough and the car shook a lot at higher rpm. Then, after idling for quite a while, it suddenly just went off. New Start was not possible and than the battery was down. So this saturday, after Valve Adjustment - which was absolutly necassery - tried again with the charged battery. Cranking was ok, but no engine run.
Troubleshooting shows that there was no ignition spark from the ignition coil. I have now learned with the forum search that this is the so-called Electrolock ignition and a troubleshooting is rather difficult here, because you can not get to the cables. So I can not properly check whether the cable in the armor shell was damaged during the short circuit and now no longer supplies power to the ignition coil.
Now how do I get to the connections, or how do I properly connect a newer ignition coil with two connections on top? Especially how do I get that to the ignition switch? Found this Post but unfortunately the pictures doesn´t work. I am rather the visual typ ;-)

Attached Images
IMG_7591.JPG IMG_4986.JPG

Greetings André
------
1940 Special de Luxe Sport Sedan
https://1940specialdeluxe.wordpress.com
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Once you have the cap off of the coil you can remove the screws holding the switch end to the dash. It removes by pulling the switch end through the hole in the firewall. It's tight and only fits through one way but it does fit. Finding the release tab on the cap end of the electrolock was very difficult for me and I ended up destroying my original coil getting the electrolock off. Others have not had that problem. I'm attaching a scan showing how to remove it. If you are successful in getting the tab to release and the cap off of the coil I STRONGLY recommend using a Dremmel tool or file and removing the nub on the cap that the locking tab pushes against. If you remove that nub future removal of the cap is a simple twist. I'm also posting a picture showing the nub that needs to be removed indicated by the yellow arrow.

Attached Images
Locking Nub.jpg coil.jpg

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Tiny, found the original at OldOnlineChevyManuals.
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/bulletins/35csn013.htm
Then I will try that. Have myself another old coil, I had already destroyed the cover and was not sure how it should go without damage.

Last edited by Alligator; 11/23/21 07:05 PM.

Greetings André
------
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Happy second advent to all. Yesterday I found time to do something to solve the starting problems. I removed the cap with the largest feeler gauge between the cap and the coil and some hammer blows on the cap. Then I saw that the wire to the coil was broken. Second thing I did was remove the ignition switch from the dash. Was as easy as Tiny described here.
Here is a good description for my next steps to change the wire inside and now I present the photos that are missing there. Next Saturday I will do the rest and first tests. Fingers crossed

Attached Images
IMG_4619.JPG IMG_4616.JPG IMG_4617.JPG IMG_4618.JPG IMG_4620.JPG IMG_4621.JPG IMG_4622.JPG IMG_4623.JPG IMG_4624.JPG
Last edited by Alligator; 12/07/21 12:17 PM.

Greetings André
------

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.