Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
I was in NC this past week. I spoke with the Building Permit folks.

Although the code NOW is to have natural gas or propane fired water heaters 18" or more off floor level, that procedure became a rule in 2000, or 2001 area.

When asked what was the rule PRIOR to 2000, regarding water heater height, my answer was "no rule".

Doesn't seem possible, does it? Scary, if true.

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
It is absolutely amazing how many municipalities(and states) do not recognize nationally accepted codes.

ken48
VCCA 42589

ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by ken48
It is absolutely amazing how many municipalities(and states) do not recognize nationally accepted codes.

Yes sir, cannot IMAGINE the narrow minded decisions made not to recognize and implement a code that is a lifesaver.

It would be interesting to know if and if so, how many tragedies occurred, due to that non acceptance of the code.

Scary stuff!

At least they're up to speed now.

I'll bet they still allow burning candles on Christmas trees.

For you younger guys, that WAS a practice, back in the day. dance

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
We just started with build inspectors in our area about three years ago in Northeast PA.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I would also check with my home owners insurance company for their requirements, prohibitions and recommendations. It would be very disappointing to find out that they would deny a claim due to not following their requirements.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Chipper
I would also check with my home owners insurance company for their requirements, prohibitions and recommendations. It would be very disappointing to find out that they would deny a claim due to not following their requirements.

Points well taken, will certainly make sure insurance company is on the same page as the building inspection folks, regarding codes and requirements.

ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Andys29
We just started with build inspectors in our area about three years ago in Northeast PA.

WOW, hard to grasp that idea, but understand that the areas in which we live may not be "up to speed", so to speak.

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Bob,

Welcome to NC!

As to the basement:

a. The water heater and the furnace are not going to hurt the car.

b. The car is not going to hurt the utilities.

c. Drive the car in there and don't worry about it. No need to drain no stinkin gas tank. Just check for leaks now and then. The ethanol will keep everything in good condition. Drive the car once in a while; which, unlike those in the snow belt, is possible year-round here in NC

d. The garage is so big that you will have to find another and much tighter place to economically do yourself in. Just imagine how much base you'd have to burn to even get drowsy much less go to "sleep." Too expensive even with gas going down. (Speaking of which, why do the news folks say we are "saving on gas. The price of gas is the price of gas. There is no saving involved. It is what it is.)

f. Get some smoke, argon, heat detectors and several fire extinguisher only for peace of mine. Sleep well.

g. I don't think the officials telling there was no code before 2000 were being truthful. They either didn't actually know or were too lazy to look it up. Nothing before 2000 my butt! Such a statement by them makes us North Carolinians look backwoods. hood Does too!

Where exactly are you locating? I may need to borrow some tools. You like Snap-on I hope. Agrin

Again, welcome to the goodliest state in the Union.

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
I'm not worried about the water heater or the furnace hurting the cars or the cars hurting them.

I AM worried about the water heater and the cars hurting ME! dance

I don't want to be blown sky high from my house in Hendersonville to the front porch of your "unknown city" in NC. Witness protection program?

The big "boom" puts a whole new slant to the phrase "I'll drop in sometime".

Sure you can borrow my Craftsman tools, the darn rental agreement isn't that long .... takes only a few minutes to fill out!

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Charlie hit it on the head, like I said in an earlier thread a vast majority of single and two family homes in the Greater NYC Area have a garage under the living space of a wood frame home, and many of those are attached homes I am talking at least a million homes in this area, never heard of a problem. I disconnect the battery on my old cars, more potential there for a problem if anything will happen

John

1954 Belair Sport Coupe
1960 2 door Impala Hardtop 348/340HP 4spd
1962 2 door Impala Hardtop 409/409 4spd
1962 2 Door Biscayne Sedan 327/250 Auto
1977 Monza Mirage 305 4 Speed
1988 Celebrity Wagon
2018 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Diesel
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by John 348/340HP
Charlie hit it on the head, like I said in an earlier thread a vast majority of single and two family homes in the Greater NYC Area have a garage under the living space of a wood frame home, and many of those are attached homes I am talking at least a million homes in this area, never heard of a problem. I disconnect the battery on my old cars, more potential there for a problem if anything will happen

Do you think those homes have water heaters that are "raised up " from ground level ? Just asking here.

I don't know your NY codes, but there must be a reason codes stipulate water heaters must be raised.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Fuel vapor (natural gas, propane, gasoline, etc.)are heavier than air and exist (often within explosive concentrations) close to the lowest level (ground or in this case basement floor). A lot of gas water heaters have a pilot flame close to the bottom of the water heater. Having an open flame within the range of where explosive concentrations exist (almost always due to some sort of leak) is not good. So placing a gas water heater on a platform 18" or higher off the surface helps prevent an explosion.

I worked with fuel in the Air Force and we were taught that gasoline/jet fuel vapor in explosive concentrations could exist up to 4 feet above the ground (and that is open air not in a confined space). Maybe over-kill but if you have seen what happens to steel, aluminum, etc. after a fuel fire a person/entity becomes very, very cautious.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hello Bob ! Welcome to Hendersonville NC. Looking forward to meeting you at one of the local events that run all summer long on Friday evenings downtown old Hendersonville. The local car club is "Hendersonville Antique Car Club". You can Google that and see what it`s all about. It`s a good local club ! I winter in S. Fl. but look forward to May-June when my wife and I go back up and get "Miss Sadie" warmed up again and ready for the summer events!....hope to hook up with you in the spring! David

David Martin-Hendersonville NC, Pine Island Fl....... 1940 Chevy SDSS,
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Oldiron
Fuel vapor (natural gas, propane, gasoline, etc.)are heavier than air and exist (often within explosive concentrations) close to the lowest level (ground or in this case basement floor). A lot of gas water heaters have a pilot flame close to the bottom of the water heater. Having an open flame within the range of where explosive concentrations exist (almost always due to some sort of leak) is not good. So placing a gas water heater on a platform 18" or higher off the surface helps prevent an explosion.

I worked with fuel in the Air Force and we were taught that gasoline/jet fuel vapor in explosive concentrations could exist up to 4 feet above the ground (and that is open air not in a confined space). Maybe over-kill but if you have seen what happens to steel, aluminum, etc. after a fuel fire a person/entity becomes very, very cautious.

I appreciate your comments. Your words are the reason for my concern.

Vapors in explosive concentrations possible existing 4 feet above ground level is an eye opener .... in an open air setting. WOW. Proceed with caution!

ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Martinomon
Hello Bob ! Welcome to Hendersonville NC. Looking forward to meeting you at one of the local events that run all summer long on Friday evenings downtown old Hendersonville. The local car club is "Hendersonville Antique Car Club". You can Google that and see what it`s all about. It`s a good local club ! I winter in S. Fl. but look forward to May-June when my wife and I go back up and get "Miss Sadie" warmed up again and ready for the summer events!....hope to hook up with you in the spring! David

David,
Thanks for the welcome and the info. We are in the South Rugby/Haywood Road area, will try to keep up and keep in touch with you.
I'll try to send you an email.
Thanks.

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Bob --

Just disregard Charlie: Flatlander from East Carolina. Came up to Asheville once to the 4th of July flea market and got a nosebleed from the altitude. Doesn't understand the mountains.

Hope the move-in goes well and that you'll stop in for a visit once you're settled. Maybe we can call Charlie and try to help him get oriented. Might be able to sell him a Fulton, too.

All the Best, Chip

"It's wise to choose a SIX"
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Chip
Bob --

Just disregard Charlie: Flatlander from East Carolina. Came up to Asheville once to the 4th of July flea market and got a nosebleed from the altitude. Doesn't understand the mountains.

Hope the move-in goes well and that you'll stop in for a visit once you're settled. Maybe we can call Charlie and try to help him get oriented. Might be able to sell him a Fulton, too.

All the Best, Chip

Chip,

As they say in Asheville, "Altitude Affects Attitude".

The folks with the big smiles are from the mountain area, while the flatlanders are wondering why they aren't living in the mountains. willy

Wouldn't know Charlie if he walked by me on the street.

Hmmmm, maybe I would recognize Charlie.

He would be the guy wearing a baseball cap, with the bill looking like a Fulton Visor. dance

P.S. First load of my stuff went to Hendersonville last Saturday. Rest will be after 1st of year. Will meet up with you after the move in, OK?

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Sounds great!

All the Best, Chip

"It's wise to choose a SIX"
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Chip
Sounds great!

All the Best, Chip

OK!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.