Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi All,
I'm in the process of replacing the horn bushing on my 1931 pickup and am having problems removing the steering mast. I have the steering wheel off and the clamp at the dashboard loosened. I have also loosened the two clamps on the steering box. I still can't get the mast to move. Looking at some of the diagrams it appears that it unscrews from the steering box. Any help would be appreciated.
Regards Lee

Last edited by 1931truck; 03/31/14 02:45 AM.

Someone's opinion of you does not have to become your reality.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
The mast is held onto the steering box by a tube clamp. The part you are referring to that screws into the steering box is the upper bearing adjuster , turning that part tightens or loosens the bearing for the worm shaft.
Here is a link to BB's 1931 site with some views which may help.

http://1931chevrolet.com/articles/steering/index.htm

JACK
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
After the steering wheel and the clamps are removed, the mast jacket should slide up and off of the steering box assembly.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Jack and JYD,
Thanks for the info. After looking at the pictures on Bill's site again it finally rang a bell in my brain. I can now see what I need to do to get the mast out of the truck. It appears that a little gentle persuasion may be needed to get it out. I will be trying that today. At least I know enough now so that I won't damage anything getting the mast out.
Regards,
Lee

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Don't forget to cut off the horn wire which enters near bottom of jacket. As for the bolts at the box, the one securing the bearing retainer should be kept tight, only the upper bolt which clamps the jacket to the retaioner needs be loosened. By having the ratainer bolt tight, you should be3 able to use a pipe wrench to turn the jacket at the ratioaner to get it to free up. Good luck.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The '31 and up connection is a twist connection and can be disconnected. '30 and older is hard wired to the horn so it needs to be cut or unscrewed.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Gunsmoke,
I tried getting the mast out with both clamps loose but your suggestion sounds like the way to go. I'll try that tomorrow to see how it works. I'll let everyone know.
Regards,
Lee

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.