VCCA Home
Posted By: 1931truck Steering Mast Removal 1931 pickup - 03/31/14 06:36 AM
Hi All,
I'm in the process of replacing the horn bushing on my 1931 pickup and am having problems removing the steering mast. I have the steering wheel off and the clamp at the dashboard loosened. I have also loosened the two clamps on the steering box. I still can't get the mast to move. Looking at some of the diagrams it appears that it unscrews from the steering box. Any help would be appreciated.
Regards Lee
Posted By: jack39rdstr Re: Steering Mast Removal 1931 pickup - 03/31/14 08:58 AM
The mast is held onto the steering box by a tube clamp. The part you are referring to that screws into the steering box is the upper bearing adjuster , turning that part tightens or loosens the bearing for the worm shaft.
Here is a link to BB's 1931 site with some views which may help.

http://1931chevrolet.com/articles/steering/index.htm
Posted By: Junkyard Dog Re: Steering Mast Removal 1931 pickup - 03/31/14 02:34 PM
After the steering wheel and the clamps are removed, the mast jacket should slide up and off of the steering box assembly.

laugh wink beer2
Posted By: 1931truck Re: Steering Mast Removal 1931 pickup - 04/01/14 07:11 AM
Jack and JYD,
Thanks for the info. After looking at the pictures on Bill's site again it finally rang a bell in my brain. I can now see what I need to do to get the mast out of the truck. It appears that a little gentle persuasion may be needed to get it out. I will be trying that today. At least I know enough now so that I won't damage anything getting the mast out.
Regards,
Lee
Posted By: Gunsmoke Re: Steering Mast Removal 1931 pickup - 04/01/14 12:45 PM
Don't forget to cut off the horn wire which enters near bottom of jacket. As for the bolts at the box, the one securing the bearing retainer should be kept tight, only the upper bolt which clamps the jacket to the retaioner needs be loosened. By having the ratainer bolt tight, you should be3 able to use a pipe wrench to turn the jacket at the ratioaner to get it to free up. Good luck.
Posted By: Chipper Re: Steering Mast Removal 1931 pickup - 04/01/14 01:08 PM
The '31 and up connection is a twist connection and can be disconnected. '30 and older is hard wired to the horn so it needs to be cut or unscrewed.
Posted By: 1931truck Re: Steering Mast Removal 1931 pickup - 04/02/14 07:10 AM
Thanks Gunsmoke,
I tried getting the mast out with both clamps loose but your suggestion sounds like the way to go. I'll try that tomorrow to see how it works. I'll let everyone know.
Regards,
Lee

© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum