VCCA Home
Posted By: 6shootr 41 Special Deluxe, 61 Apache and 60 Impala - 08/10/22 02:52 PM
Looking forward to being a part of this group and learning from you all. Got these from my wife's uncle. Been sitting in this same spot for a long while. They are complete but just needs some love. Plan to just getting them cleaned up, running and driving for now. See where the bug takes me. 41 Chevy Special Deluxe Town Sedan, a 61 Apache C30 1 ton long box stepside and a 60 Impala 4 door flattop.
Hi 6shootr,

Welcome to the VCCA's website! Sounds like you have a wonderful stable of vehicles!

Since they've been sitting for a while, I suggest that you take out the spark plugs and squirt a little automatic transmission fluid into the cylinders and let it soak for a while before trying to turn the engine over. That will lubricate the cylinder walls and should free up any stuck rings.

There are lots of other things to take care of too, such as changing all the fluids, making sure the brakes work, changing the tires, checking the lights, etc.

May I suggest that you take care of all that stuff before resurrecting the engine. That way, when the engine does fire up, you'll be ready to go for a ride! ;-)

I'm sure others will chime in with other suggestions.

Cheers, Dean
Welcome to the best and friendliest Chevrolet group on the internet!
Got any pictures?
Posted By: tonyw Re: 41 Special Deluxe, 61 Apache and 60 Impala - 08/11/22 09:06 AM
Before attempting to start give each cylinder a generous squirt of atf (dont drown it though) and leave it soak for a few days, then try turning the engine by hand (at least 2 full turns of the crankshaft) to check for stuck valves (if there is a clunk and you cant turn as easy stop and free the valve).
Also prior to starting do an oil and filter change.
Tony
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum