Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
6shootr Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Looking forward to being a part of this group and learning from you all. Got these from my wife's uncle. Been sitting in this same spot for a long while. They are complete but just needs some love. Plan to just getting them cleaned up, running and driving for now. See where the bug takes me. 41 Chevy Special Deluxe Town Sedan, a 61 Apache C30 1 ton long box stepside and a 60 Impala 4 door flattop.

1941 Chevy Special Deluxe 2 door sedan
1960 Chevy Impala flat top sports sedan
1961 Chevy Apache C30 step side long box
1966 Chevy Bel Air Sedan
Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hi 6shootr,

Welcome to the VCCA's website! Sounds like you have a wonderful stable of vehicles!

Since they've been sitting for a while, I suggest that you take out the spark plugs and squirt a little automatic transmission fluid into the cylinders and let it soak for a while before trying to turn the engine over. That will lubricate the cylinder walls and should free up any stuck rings.

There are lots of other things to take care of too, such as changing all the fluids, making sure the brakes work, changing the tires, checking the lights, etc.

May I suggest that you take care of all that stuff before resurrecting the engine. That way, when the engine does fire up, you'll be ready to go for a ride! ;-)

I'm sure others will chime in with other suggestions.

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Welcome to the best and friendliest Chevrolet group on the internet!
Got any pictures?

Ole S Olson
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Before attempting to start give each cylinder a generous squirt of atf (dont drown it though) and leave it soak for a few days, then try turning the engine by hand (at least 2 full turns of the crankshaft) to check for stuck valves (if there is a clunk and you cant turn as easy stop and free the valve).
Also prior to starting do an oil and filter change.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.