VCCA Home
Posted By: 47fleet 47 fleetmaster trunk handle. - 09/23/22 08:55 PM
Hello ,

First post here, I searched so I apologize if this has-been asked before.

I have enherited my father's 1947, and I intend to finish it.

Right now I am working on the trunk, I have never seen the trunk latch and handle together I bought a replacement off ebay because the one my dad had was missing springs, and the pin.

I can't get the handle installed and I was hoping someone ight have a picture of the latch in their trunk to see if I have the right one or if there are any tricks on installing them.

Thank you,

John.
Posted By: ruscar Re: 47 fleetmaster trunk handle. - 09/23/22 10:04 PM

A little info on the handle and lock.

Do you have a key for your handle lock?
Posted By: 47fleet Re: 47 fleetmaster trunk handle. - 09/23/22 10:31 PM
I do have the key and the entire handle is assembled just not sure how to install it into the trunk. I can get it almost all the way in and I have been playing around with it but no luck yet.
Posted By: ruscar Re: 47 fleetmaster trunk handle. - 09/24/22 12:58 AM
Just a couple more questions.

Are you using the one you bought? Did you repair the original with parts from the one you bought? Have you compared the two side-by-side as to length and shape etc..

The one that fits a Fleetline two door is slightly different from the other models.

Their is no trick to installing, I think it has to be in the unlock position though. Don't remember for sure. If all is correct it should just slide all the way into the latch with the threads on the lock shaft sticking out to put a lock washer and nut on.

Attached picture 11.JPG
Attached picture 12.JPG
Posted By: 47fleet Re: 47 fleetmaster trunk handle. - 09/24/22 02:39 AM
Thank you the images they help, the two handles measure the same, and they look the same. Pin in the same location. I could have two of the wrong handles. As soon as I figure it out I will post some pictures.

Thank you for the information.

Attached picture 47trunkhandle.jpg
Attached picture 47 trunk latch.jpg
Posted By: ruscar Re: 47 fleetmaster trunk handle. - 09/24/22 11:21 PM
Took mine out to measure. This could be +/- a little.

Try this as it is how I got mine out and back in. Turn the key where the pin/pawl is sticking up/out (opposite from the picture) with the handle straight up and down. Leave it there. Now turn the handle sideways, pin at 9 and handle is at 3 o'clock. Push it in.

Looking into the latch from outside you should see a slot at 9 o'clock for the pin to go into.

Attached picture 47trunkhandle.jpg
Attached picture 47-trunk-latch.jpg
Posted By: 47fleet Re: 47 fleetmaster trunk handle. - 09/27/22 02:55 AM
Thank you I will try this tomorrow during the day and let you know.
Posted By: ruscar Re: 47 fleetmaster trunk handle. - 09/27/22 03:35 PM
Oops, forgot to add, the latch must be in the up position and part the handle goes through must be sideways. Sorry!

Attached picture 47-trunk-latch.jpg
Posted By: 47fleet Re: 47 fleetmaster trunk handle. - 09/27/22 11:02 PM
So good news and bad news, good news the handle is in, cleaned up some gunk and corrosion around the shaft and used a little gentle persuasion and it is in. Bad news, I am guessing the underside of your trunk looks much different from the picture below.

Attached picture trunk handle.jpg
Attached picture trunkunder.jpg
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum