VCCA Home
Posted By: Trip Old Gas - 04/23/23 02:55 PM
In the fall of 2021 I put my 46 chevy 1/2 ton into storage for the winter-drained the carburetor and added stabil to the 1/2 tank of gas. Due to work and travel Diane (yes she has a name and was featured in the magazine-A Tale of Two Dianes) has sat since then. Is it ok to start her or should I drain the gas first? Thanks for whatever knowledge you all can share.
Trip Hunter
Posted By: Tiny Re: Old Gas - 04/23/23 04:42 PM
With the stabil you "might" be OK but personally I'd replace the gas just to be safe.
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: Old Gas - 04/23/23 05:33 PM
If the gas is from 2021 i would get rid of it, Stabil or not.
Posted By: 35Mike Re: Old Gas - 04/24/23 01:55 AM
I think the info on the Sta-Bil bottle says it is good for 3 months.

Mike
Posted By: tonyw Re: Old Gas - 04/24/23 09:04 AM
I have used fuel 4 or 5 years old in 4 stroke engines and only once I had problems that I could attribute to stale fuel which was more like water in the fuel. 2 stroke outboard boat engines are a different story 3 months after mixing.
Tony
Posted By: Trip Re: Old Gas - 04/24/23 02:57 PM
Thanks so much Tony!
Posted By: Trip Re: Old Gas - 04/24/23 02:58 PM
Thanks 35 Mike.
Posted By: 41specialdeluxe Re: Old Gas - 04/28/23 11:23 PM
Consider draining that precious stuff only after your have tried to start it - trying everything - and the stinkin' thing won't crank. Those who say drain it must have deep pockets! Gasoline is $3.50 a gallon down here right now. Mercy! Agrin

Sorry about saying that sweet Diane (Da truck) stinks but she probably hasn't had a bath since you parked her. Where's you sense of adventure. Get you some starter fluid and have at it. Let us know how it turns out. dance

Charliecomputer

BTW: Have the other Diane present so she can give you a couple cartwheels and hugs for saving money..
Posted By: tonyw Re: Old Gas - 04/29/23 08:54 AM
The best way to drain the tank is to drive the car until it is near empty, when you do undo the drain plug catch the result and pour it into your snowplough, we dont need no snow plough down here.

Think yourselves lucky at $3.50 a gallon, petrol down here is $au2.00 a litre and only 4 litres to your gallon and 66 cents to your $. I mainly use what you call BBQ gas at $1.20 / /litre.

Tony
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum