VCCA Home
Hi,

I am desperately looking for a 1936 Chevrolet Master Deluxe pinion. Ratio 4.11. Pinion marked 9/37.

The part number is 602476. Mine is totally worn out. I can't find one with adequate ring.

Is anyone got an idea or a part ?

Thanks,

Eddy

Attached picture DSC05147.JPG
Attached picture DSC05148.JPG
Welcome Eddy! I'll move this to the Parts Wanted forum for you. Also be wary of scammers. Only pay using a protected method.
Keep an eye on Ebay also.
You might have more success looking for a complete rear axle.

Maybe I missed something. Do you already have a new ring gear? If the pinion is worn I would expect simialr wear on the ring gear. Running a new pinion on the old ring gear will probably only work for a while.
The part number listed is correct for a 4.11 gear SET-ring and pinion. The poster is in France so probably some language conversion issue. That gear set also list for 37 and 38 1/2-3/4-and 1 ton trucks. Perhaps someone that has changed their truck rear axle may have a good used one.
Look here! But might not fit master, you will need research.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/186320027331?epid=502686909&itmmeta=01HR8DZFWNCK4V82MJ2F9FPECQ&hash=item2b6189fec3:g:0GcAAOSwf2RhmWfS&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8AdTf5tyJ25QQ9vR5XBJcbt%2B3q%2FfycsuUF9a%2FoAsjH%2FAirfOcX0hxicb7NHyy%2B0Rapsrq70SNlDKHcqW2ah8dYC7rQbUMEIc7xrVNv5iJPMRydZ1qd%2BeqTefBbsY5IuKHU%2BjBqY6oOjcL9XW5z1sxMzce7xjBL0w9xyEP075vXEAGZYAlkEFJ7XMNIC8begIeUtc0MrhKDZj%2Fg%2BDAbDeg%2BnjXmfV4gI7n%2BVdGN4Qb3sKX%2FytQGxPexqEO2DrjvjuxgrBd0c%2FMK7VKYeL%2F4u4E%2BQZhsmWmDSamk689LsOlxAuj0OzrF%2Ft0KF8OwOspvZpgQ%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR7r-_Y3CYw
I viewed that same item and have emailed the seller questioning if it is for a master or std and he replied he has both,. I am waiting to see if there are ANY numbers on the parts to identify them. The red flags are already up as he listed only as for a 36 Chevrolet - said he has both std and master . At least it's an Ebay listing so there is a process in place if not correct to get a refund even though the ad says no returns.
He replied that they had a family parts and scrap yard business for 90 years and the info he is supplying is what the box is marked. I still asked for numbers on the parts even though they are probably not OEM and who knows if the parts are in the correct box. Seeing that they need to go to France all the info we can get is best.
Instead of asking for part numbers, ask for pertinent dimensions necessary to determine if it is indeed for a 1936 Master.
Hi,

No, it won't fit because my ring is a 12 rivet one.

Thanks ! Eddy
Hi,

Do you have the link to these ads ?
Or any contact or email ?
Thanks, Eddy
Hi,

Don't worry, I speak perfect English.

Thanks,

Eddy
Hi,

Do you have an email to join this person ?

Can you get some pictures ?

Thanks, Eddy
I expect the seller to get back to me today. I will then forward his contact info (EBAY) listing. Glad your English is good as my French is mal.
Originally Posted by Teddymaster1936
Hi,

Do you have an email to join this person ?

Can you get some pictures ?

Thanks, Eddy
Search ebay for item number 186320027331.
OK thanks
I am sorry but this item is for a 1936 standard (10 holes). Thanks.
I looked at ebay but I've never found what I expected. I think this part is really difficult to find ... Thanks for telling me if you have any contact.
I agree the one pictured in the Ebay ad is for a std . I used contact the seller feature as the ad did not specify and he replied he had both and would get some numbers today. If that does not happen I have to assume he did not find a correct master gear set. Following is a copy of the Emails. Newest reply at top.

New message from: dun_1946 (510PURPLE_STAR Star)
I can check tomorrow

Your previous message
I prefer the numbers on the parts if any .

dun_1946:
We had a family owned 4 generation parts store and salvage yard for 90 years. The boxes are marked with application. I can take a picture of that for you.

Your previous message
Looking for a set for a Master for another person. Are there any numbers at all on either part? How can you be sure of application? Item will need to be sent overseas so want to sure it is correct and will then advise buyer to purchase direct.

dun_1946:
I have both master and standard. No not have the GM part numbers

Your previous message
Is it for a Chevrolet Master or Standard?? Any numbers on either part?? If so please list. TY
Finally got word from the seller that the only one he has for sale right now is for the standard.
Hi i have a ring and pinion set from a 37-40 1/2 ton . It is a replacement set made by the AUTOMOTIVE GEARWORKS CO. pinion#8470 ring#7470 9 3/8 diameter 12 hole. If some one can verify this info please chime in.
Hi,

Do you have any pictures to send me ?

What is the outer and inner diameter of the ring (in cms) ? Is the pinion 24 cms long ?

Thanks !

Eddy
Hi,

In fact, I am looking for a ring and a pinion. The ring is a 12 rivet one.

Ratio 4.11, 9 teeth on the pinion and 37 on the ring. I can't find that anywhere ...

Thanks !
Hi inner dia 5.440 inch /13.8 cm outer 9.375 inch/23.81 cm pinion 9.125 inch/23.18 cm Note: I am not set up to measure this large so these measures are not exact margin of error is about plus or minus .025 inch
Hi,

Ok, I don't know if it would fit my car. Is the pinion marked 9/37 ?

Can you send me pictures at ecorillaud@gmail.com ?

Thanks ! Eddy
Yes the pinion and ring gear are both marked 9/37. This set saw very little use in a 39 chev half ton pickup. Iwill see if i can send pictures.
Yes the ring &pinion are both marked 9/37. This set was from a 1939 chev 1/2 ton pickup. I don't know if it will fit a 1936 master
Hi, OK, there is a great chance it would fit !

Can you send me photos ? My address is : ecorillaud@gmail.com

You can find me on Facebook : Eddy Corillaud (Auto Retro Club 79)

Thanks, 'cause I still have no solution,

Thanks for your answer to come,

Eddy
Several years ago I made 25 sets of these (equal to the 602476) in a 3.36:1 ratio (37/11). My research at the time led me to believe they fit: some late production 35 Master cars. They fit 36 Master cars and 1/2 ton trucks. They fit 1937-39 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Most sales, of the ones I produced, were to 37-38 1/2 trucks, several to 36 Master cars and at least one for a 36 1/2 ton truck. Only problem as far as actually fitting was a 37 Panel truck with a Canadian differential requiring some machining to get it to fit. (An easy fix would have been to acquire a 37 USA rear end ). It took me 15 years to sell them, so not a real fast, high demand market.
FYI, the Republic Gear aftermarket # is H1463. Nothing on eBay right now but sometimes these aftermarket sets show up for sale not referencing the vehicles they are made for.
triZero,
I have a NOS ring and pinon set for a 36 Master in 3.82 ratio. This set was made by the "Service Gear Corp". Do you know if this ratio was available as a special order from Chevrolet or was this an after market ratio?
triZero,
With the increased popularity of pickup trucks, in our hobby, There would probably be more interest in your gear sets today, that there was back then. Price is certainly a factor but in some cases, the availability of CNC capabilities has made stuff like this cheaper today than it was years ago.
I'll bet you could get advance orders and deposits, if you were interested in making another batch.

Mike
Part number 602477 (42-11 teeth) is listed in my parts book as economy model for the same application as the 602476.
This gear set is 42-11 Teeth
Hi,

OK thank you, i'll let you know if I am interested,

Bye,

Eddy
Make sure that both gear sets use the same carrier and other parts. The economy gear set for my '35 Standard requires a different carrier.

Mike
Hi,

OK thanks !
Hi,

Can you send me the measures of your set (pinion length, outer and inner diameter of the ring)

My email address for photos : ecorillaud@gmail.com

Thanks,

Eddy
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum