VCCA Home
Posted By: WI_Jeff Horn question - 08/21/22 03:03 PM
I am replacing the steering wheel on my 1950 Chevy Styleline Deluxe. The horn wire that enters the steering column at the bottom is frayed. I would like to replace this wire while I have it apart. With the old steering wheel off, I cannot see where the wire attaches to the top of the column. All I can see is the steering shaft and the spring. I guess my question is: where and how does the horn wire attach to the top of the column by the horn? I have a new wire from the relay and when I ground the new wire the horn works. The only thing I would like to replace is the wire inside the steering column.
Posted By: m006840 Re: Horn question - 08/21/22 06:29 PM
The wire attaches to the upper steering column bushing. I think getting the bushing out without removing the column and gear assy will be difficult.
Posted By: Rusty 37 Master Re: Horn question - 08/21/22 08:30 PM
Steve’s answer is correct. That wire is attached (typically soldered) to the upper bushing.

One fix I was used is to slide a length a shrink warp around the wire so it extends well above the frayed part and inside the column. Use you heat gun to shrink the wrap as far up as you can. That will hold it in place and insulate the wire so it does not short against the column.
Posted By: ruscar Re: Horn question - 08/21/22 11:41 PM
https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detai..._Bearing_Mast_Jacket_Under_Steering.html

As Steve and Rusty said,
you will need to work your old bushing out to solder on the new wire.

Good luck.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum