VCCA Home
Posted By: Sundfar 1939 Town & country horn switch problem - 08/18/17 09:52 PM
I finally found the super rare 1939 Town & country horn switch, that allows to choose between "City" and "Country" horns.
First I installed the switch, but it was working in one position only. I removed the switch, opened it and cleaned the contacts. Then it was working properly in both positions, but when I installed it at the dash, the horns was blowing all the time when I turned on the ignition, even when I not pushed the horn button. I found it was because the switch housing get contact with ground and making a short circuit. It has to be isolated in any way. My questions:
1. Is it an internal error inside the switch that make the housing reacting with ground?
2. Or do I in all circumstances need to isolate between the dash metal and the switch housing? The strange thing is that I didn't have this problem during my first installation.
Posted By: Chipper Re: 1939 Town & country horn switch problem - 08/18/17 10:09 PM
My thinking is that somehow when you took the switch apart an insulator was either left out or damaged. The switch parts must be isolated (insulated) from the case.
Posted By: Sundfar Re: 1939 Town & country horn switch problem - 08/21/17 01:17 PM
Thank you Chipper.
I opened it again and found that the small bushing around the switch shaft is teared and worn. No I am spraying it with CRC urethane paint, I seems that it will give a good isolation.
Posted By: Chipper Re: 1939 Town & country horn switch problem - 08/22/17 02:07 AM
A reasonably thick coating of urethane should provide the insulation required.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum