Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Sundfar Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I finally found the super rare 1939 Town & country horn switch, that allows to choose between "City" and "Country" horns.
First I installed the switch, but it was working in one position only. I removed the switch, opened it and cleaned the contacts. Then it was working properly in both positions, but when I installed it at the dash, the horns was blowing all the time when I turned on the ignition, even when I not pushed the horn button. I found it was because the switch housing get contact with ground and making a short circuit. It has to be isolated in any way. My questions:
1. Is it an internal error inside the switch that make the housing reacting with ground?
2. Or do I in all circumstances need to isolate between the dash metal and the switch housing? The strange thing is that I didn't have this problem during my first installation.

Last edited by Sundfar; 08/18/17 06:01 PM.
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
My thinking is that somehow when you took the switch apart an insulator was either left out or damaged. The switch parts must be isolated (insulated) from the case.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Sundfar Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank you Chipper.
I opened it again and found that the small bushing around the switch shaft is teared and worn. No I am spraying it with CRC urethane paint, I seems that it will give a good isolation.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
A reasonably thick coating of urethane should provide the insulation required.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.