VCCA Home
Posted By: steve118 Torque tube leak - 12/19/18 10:58 PM
I pulled the engine/trans, from my 36 standard sedan, to deal with a knock. Before I did that I checked the differential level and it was way over full. So the trans oil leaked into the differential.
The parts book lists a washer/seal # 474921. It looks to be behind the front bushing. So far the only thing I can find online is a C-36-S NOS "Okie" drive bushing assembly. It has a seal in it. $90 on epray.
Is this the proper replacement item for this 474921 seal?

It looks like the bushing comes out to get to the seal.
And the u-joint shaft is a bit rough so I put in a $35 bid on one.

I did research the forums but did not find much.
Thank you for any assistance,

Steve S
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: Torque tube leak - 12/19/18 11:25 PM
The 1936 Standard front and rear bushing and seal fit that model only. There is not an Oakie type bushing made today for a FC. The seal was only a ring of cork. Perhaps some one will reply that found a real seal that will work.
If it were mine I would try to get the old stock Oakie bushing and seal you mentioned if it is for an FC.....
Posted By: steve118 Re: Torque tube leak - 12/19/18 11:49 PM
Thank you for the fast reply Gene.

I went ahead and bought it. Says it is for a FC. I just hope the seal is still pliable.

Thanks again,

Steve S
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: Torque tube leak - 12/20/18 04:44 AM
That should come with a more modern seal If it has grown old and hard will still be a good sample for size.
Posted By: terrill Re: Torque tube leak - 12/21/18 12:00 PM
To revive old stock cork seals. Place in hot water. Watch carefully as the cork rejuvenates. It will expand to the correct size; however, it will keep expanding if not removed from the hot water. The cork seals that I rejuvenated did work just fine.
Posted By: 345chevy Re: Torque tube leak - 12/21/18 07:17 PM
Modern lip seals are readily available from bearing supply shops for the 1933-35 Standards so if you give them the inner and outer dimensions chances are they may be able to help.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum