Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
Bb54chevy
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#489358 02/02/2024 12:42 AM
by Bb54chevy
Bb54chevy
Is it worth trying to make my own wiring harness for a 54 BelAir? Where’s the best place to buy a complete wiring harness?
Liked Replies
#489412 Feb 3rd a 03:56 PM
by styleline51
styleline51
I used RI Wire for my 51 Coupe. High quality, great fit and service. Doesn't pay to scrimp on wiring as it can bite you in the rear later.
Diagrams included and all harnesses had connectors installed.

They have cloth covered over vinyl wire with all the correct markings.
1 member likes this
#489381 Feb 2nd a 10:10 PM
by Rusty 37 Master
Rusty 37 Master
The online YNZ catalog shows a vinyl harness for late 1953 and 1954.
1 member likes this
#489364 Feb 2nd a 12:29 PM
by Tiny
Tiny
I don't know if YNZ makes a modern, non cloth covered, harness. I guess give them a call. I mention that because my 53 has a modern harness from the factory so I assume your 54 will as well. FWIW I too used YNZ when I replaced the harness on my 38. I also bought their accessory horn harness. Both were well made.
1 member likes this
#489363 Feb 2nd a 04:48 AM
by Keith Knox
Keith Knox
I used a YnZ harness in my 48 also. I was afraid of the job, but once I got started it went pretty fast. I suggest removing the front seat at least and throwing blankets down to get under the dash. Only help I needed was pulling the harness through the firewall to get started.
1 member likes this
#489362 Feb 2nd a 04:30 AM
by Rusty 37 Master
Rusty 37 Master
I used YNZ reproduction harnesses in my ‘37 coupe. They were very well made and clearly labeled for easy installation. I have heard good things about harnesses from Rhode Island Wiring.

While I agree that you can build your own functional harness it will never fit and look like a good reproduction harness. If you want to make your own reproduction harness be ready to spend a lot of time doing research to determine all the different terminals and wiring you need to order. And the cost for all the different items will surprise you. Typically there are minimum order quantities for those items. Then you will spend a lot of time building the harness.
1 member likes this
#489359 Feb 2nd a 02:11 AM
by drtyler
drtyler
YNZ and Rhode Island Wiring are mentioned often as quality harnesses. I don’t think you could go wrong with either one.

https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/topics/475744/who-makes-the-best-wiring-harnesses.html

Note the post by Chistech where he describes the differences in the two.
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.