Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I was looking for opinions on who makes the best and nicest complete wiring harnesses. I have seen a few out there that have add on harnesses to go along with the harnesses. I do have a Heater, Turn signals, Radio and a Mechanical clock.

Also has anyone integrated a hidden fuse box into one of these harnesses?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
I bought my 38's harness' from YNZ. https://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/ Not inexpensive but well done. There's also Rhode Island Wire. I have no experience with their product but have read posts from others saying it's also a quality product.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I've bought multiple harnesses for my cars from both YnZ and Rhode Island Wiring Service http://www.riwire.com/

Both of them provide a great product, both are reliable, and both are easy to work with.

While I've never done so, I'm sure either of them could incorporate additional fusing into a harness for you.

All the Best, Chip

"It's wise to choose a SIX"
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
YnZ was very helpful in answering questions. Good customer service.

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I have heard good reviews of Rhode Island Wiring.

My personal experiences with YNZ have been very satisfying.

When I started comparing the costs and efforts (and time) to create my own harness with all the correct sizes and colors of wires and terminal plus the various sizes of bundling material it was a no-brainer to order a reproduction harness.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 4,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 4,000
that is a personal opinion... ask 5 people and you will get various answers

My 1929 is done with Rhode Island Wiring, they also build custom harnesses, and allow you to customize the standard harness, as they make most of them to order. you can add in a few extra wires for xyz, (turn signals). they sell all sorts of connectors, clips, etc... on the factory harness i got, all the wires are color coded and cloth wrapped to replicate original style. they included the wiring diagram and clear shows what wire goes where and connects to what :)

They very knowledgeable & willing to answer questions, help you figure out best route to do something, and give options.

I talked to them about a custom harness for signal wires, i bought the wire, then laid it out how i wanted it, marked where to bundle and split the wiring. put in a box shipped it back to them, they loomed it up and then shipped it back, looks factory and fits great. nothing but good things with dealing with them, also bought my battery wire from them, plus spare wire for my emergency roadside kit wink

never dealt with YnZ but have not heard anything bad about them either.

Attached Images
20180924_164653.jpg 20180901_175749.jpg 20180901_174135.jpg

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank you all for the suggestions, I spoke to a guy at Harnesses unlimited if Wayne PA and I really wasn't happy with the answers I got. He said he could add the Turn signal harnesses for a additional $250 labor plus material costs, but he sells the turn signal harness for $75. Just thought that was a little steep or just came up with that number because he didn't feel like doing it, not sure.

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Having done a few restorations, I’ve worked with and installed both YNZ and Rhode Island Wiring harnesses. With RIW about one hour from me, I usually deal with them but here is my honest observations of both. Both companies make quality harnesses. Both will wire in and offer things like electronic signal controls for an upgrade to directional lights.
1. Quality of wire: both use high quality wire wrapped first with modern plastic then cloth. YNZ used all black, RIW used factory colors. If you’re doing a correct OEM restoration, tip of hat to RIW
2. Lengths of wire at termination (wires bare on end needing soldering or additional connectors added): YNZ, found some were two feet too long, some barely made it. RIW, al terminations we’re about 8-12” beyond what was needed.
3. Lengths of wire with connectors on both ends. Both companies good especially with dash harness. Again, same color wire used with YNZ, paper tags added that needed to be removed. RIW, wires color coded, no tags to remove. Nod to RIW for this reason.
4. Connectors: ( this was a big one for me with my exact, OEM restoration of my Oldsmobile), YNZ used modern crimped connectors with Bakelite pins and sleeve connectors for locations where factory GM junctions were. RIW uses the original style twist lock bayonet style metal connectors. Because RIW didn’t have a harness pattern for my olds, I used YNZ. I ended up ordering the correct metal connectors from RIW and attached them to my harness. A big nod to RIW if authenticity matters in your restoration.
5. Directions: YNZ, directions are typed out, diagrams are modern drawings with wires tagged. Tags need to be removed. RIW, directions are typed out, modern diagrams supplied for each electrical group, wires are color coded as to original. A copy of original wiring diagram supplied. If more than one original diagram is available, then it is also supplied. Nod to RIW for much better directions.
6. Pricing: I’ve found YNZ to run bout $75-$100 more on average than RIW
7. Delivery: (before Covid) YNZ was 6-12 weeks, RIW, 4-8. I understand both are farther out now.
8. My personal opinion: this is based on the above experiences. If. Replacement harness is needed and you want one geared to original and way better than those cheap plastic universal harnesses, both companies will fit the bill but that’s pretty much what the YNZ harnesses are. If you’re restoring a car, want originality to the wiring so that wires are correct colors, correct factory connectors are used, with the ability to use factory drawings and schematics in the future, then the only choice is RIW.
NOTE: I do believe with the current availability of product, if you are wanting an exact, factory duplicate harness, that you specify that when ordering as some colored wires are harder to get and RIW will substitute a different color to not hold up your delivery. I have never been charged a different price for the factory correct colors either.

Last edited by Chistech; 10/31/22 10:07 AM.
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Ted, Are you saying your Y N Z harness was all black wire? I have installed 4 from YNZ and they were correct multi colored harnesses with the correct fuse holders. Maybe you got a bad one?

Dave

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
The harness for my '37 from YNZ had all the correct multi-colored braid covering over the vinyl covered wire. While I agree that removing the numbered tags took a little more effort it really helped ensure a correct installation.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
My YNZ harness was also correctly colored.

VCCA Member 43216
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Yes, mine was all black wires. Masking tape tags with numbers written in magic marker. The original olds harness is split at the cowl with seven connectors. They are metal twist lock bayonet type with front wires having the male ends on the chassis to cowl and female ends on the rear wires chassis to cowl connections. My YNZ harness came with crimped on bullet connectors on both ends and Bakelite, double female connectors were supplied to join them. There was even blue plastic showing from under the shrink tubing on the bullet connectors. Of course, modern shrink tubing shouldn’t even be used on a OEM type harness of that era. There is two horns on the 32 olds and the horn wires were just barely long enough with the connections made right at the very end of the wires. There is also two fender lights, one on top of each front fender. Cut off at least two feet of wire at each light. Plus it cost me almost $900 (with the wired in electronic hidden directionals).

Last edited by Chistech; 11/04/22 09:32 PM.
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
This is the first I've heard of anyone having this type of issue with them. Did you call them about it? I'd be interested in hearing what their response was.

VCCA Member 43216
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Maybe because it is an Olds wiring harness. The YnZ one for my 48 was color codes. Just wish I would have told them to add the turn signal wires.

1946 Chevy 3100 1/2 Ton Pickup Purchased 11/18/17 Sold 9/20
1948 Chevy Fleetmaster Coupe, Purchased 6/20/2010
1965 Chevy ll 350 Purchased Feb 2021. 3-speed Saginaw Hurst Floor Shifter 3.08 Rear End

2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
4 members (Lou, minetto, BearsFan315, Rustoholic), 73 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,060
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.