Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#97902 03/22/07 09:41 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
The more you look, the more you find.

While driving the other day, checking out some adjustments, I noticed that the shifter lever was vibrating when I put my hand on it. The next time I came up through the gears from a light, the vibration was gone.

Got home and crawled under to check the u-joint and the transmission output bearing which had a slight side movement but no leak at the seal.

Went out to test drive, and the vibration was back. Played with the clutch without change. Then tried to shift out of 3rd into neutral and back into 3rd.

Now I could make the vibration disappear.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Hans - Still learning
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
what are we working on ?

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Yeah Hans, what are you working on, a 3 speed floor shift or three on the tree? if it comes and goes with shifting it could be in the shift unit or the linkage.

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
i would check the u joints first even take them apart probably need it anyway next it could be the piolit bearing letting the clutch plate get out of center ever so slight the next time you disenguage it lines up and ok get back later with more details push

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Ann says all the time, "you just start talking" See!!!!

She's right.

I am talking about the 61 Apache 10, 3 on the tree, which is leaving Sunday morning for Del Rio.

Hans - Still learning
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
To continue:

The pilot bearing is possible worn because at times the clutch will have a light chatter from a dead stop. This can be reduced or eliminated by the type of take off.

The 3rd gear speed clutch may have a problem due to the intermittent selective frequency that is felt on the shift lever which is connected to this gear through the shift ring.

It appears that this gear has 10 to 12 splines where it connects to the main out put shaft. (using the picture in the overhaul manual, having never been in one of these puppies)

Eventually the gear box will have to be removed to find out what is up.

Thanks for your input so far.

Hans - Still learning

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.