Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Jim Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
So, in case you haven't heard, this site will eventually restrict non-VCCA members.

Yet, right down the street is a successful membership supported Chevy web site - Chevytalk.

How did they do it? Well probably because rather than focusing on how to restrict access, they decided to figure out how to make it easy to join.

See their contribution page - http://www.chevytalk.com/levels.htm togo

Jim
41 Special Deluxe
48 AD 1/2 ton
52 Suburban
69 Nova Coupe
63 Nova Convertible (daily driver)
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Jim I think we have the majority of this site's "members" wanting to keep the site open,

BUT

It is just that the National BOD isn't concerned about what the majority (many not VCCA Members) on this site think, There are enough of the powerful 'Wanna-keep-it-for myself" VCCA members here to get the BOD's ear, after all VCCA is concerned about VCCA.

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
Jim Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Mr. Mack,

And in the same G&D National board minutes, they express concern for declining VCCA membership. What I'm trying to suggest is that there may be a way to both keep this web site active and viable *and* increase VCCA membership.

It might be as simple as providing an easy way to join VCCA. Perhaps even providing a membership choice - join National VCCA and select G&D delivery, or join National VCCA as an Online member (perhaps for slightly smaller dues).

But in any case, take online payments. I mean, Paypal takes almost no effort to set up!

Jim
41 Special Deluxe
48 AD 1/2 ton
52 Suburban
69 Nova Coupe
63 Nova Convertible (daily driver)
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Jim , I agree , and when we get to weild the awesome power of The VCCA! Then maybe we can be the progressive, compassionate, Conservatives that will offer real choices, like a couple or three of our BOD members have been pushing for, and other forum members have suggested by going thru the complicated and unyeilding method that has been designed to "Amend"? the By-laws only to have them shot down time after time. I am glad you are reading the Minutes of the last BOD meeting. (I haven't been in Midland since the G & D was mailed) Maybe we should have the BOD Minutes posted either here or at < VCCA.org > in their entirety.

Meantime back at the ranch....I think that what most of the non-VCCA members come here for is the very good factual information that the regulars disperse to anyone that asks for it. They probably have no intentions of becomeing VCCA members. I think that is one reason the BOD has decided to make it a VCCA only site.
In my estimation there are pros and cons to making the site "Members Only" The con is the possibility that every once in a while we will reach out and touch" someone that is a candidate for membership...... After all does it cost the VCCA Members any more if we have a herd of non-members looking in and particapating in the discussions?......I don't know....... That is for someone else besides me to answer.

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
While I am not a member of VCCA I certainly gain a lot of enjoyment and information from this site. I also hope that the bits of information I have posted have helped other users with their respective problems.
I would like to be able to continue using this site but not being a paid up member dont expect to influence those that are. The paid members are the ones to decide the future of the organization.

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
Leo Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Maybe the BOD should take a look at some of the other Clubs and do some soul searching before they even think of closing this site.

My first encounter with the VCCA group at Hershey 2003 was terrible to say the least. I walked up to the location, there was a table with parts, some G&D's on the ground and some members sitting around. I looked at the parts, looked at the G&D's thinking someone would get up and introduce themselves. Never Happened, so I walked away and said the heck with it.I only had the one day there and I really wanted to meet some of the members around 3PM so I went back and introduced myself.It wasn't long after that a fellow came up and started to tell them that he was a member of the VCCA and they were basicly out of step with the real world, that they made him feel like he didn't belong because his car was later model,and in spite of there attitude he would still stay in the club.
Thinking about it on the way home, the Guy was right on the money, and I felt the same way....why hang in to 3PM to meet that crew.

The VCCA should take a good look at itself in the mirror and if the membership is falling off, its because they need to make some changes and certainly make the younger members feel like they are as important as the old Dudes ( by the way I'm 70)

The best thing going for the VCCA is this site, I may not add much to it, but I try to get to it as much as I can, to read the mail, learn something that I didn't know, have some laughs, even ask some stupid questions.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I understand your reaction. I had somewhat of a similar experience the first time I looked to introduce myself to some VCCA folks staffing a table at an official regional event. I was wondering why I was getting a kind of indifferent reception. I think some of this can be chalked up to inexperience in putting out a "customer service" appearance and demeanor for newcomers. Hard to explain in a brief paragraph, but let me give it a quick try.

You've seen it in good politicians, clergy, or effective salespeople - it's a public persona that warms up strangers and puts them at ease. One could technically say it's phony, but it really is not - it's a "public" extension or elaboration of your own friendly personality. I get the impression in your case, like mine, you come across folks who are genuinely interested in the hobby and likely friendly, but they haven't had the experience of putting forth that "public" personality. I used to see that all the time when I trained new customer service people in my past work. Perhaps the "late model" perception did add a bit to the atmosphere that you experienced, but I would doubt that's prevalent.

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
I agree completely Ed. Most of our regional club meetings and our events are not usually a situation where the attention is focused outward but inward toward the business at hand I have observed it time and time again. Now, I will grant you those of us that have had a major role in training "outreach personnel" are in the habit of senseing the ones that have that talent of the greeter, the politician, the preacher that seeks to grow the congregation, and the organizer of the growing PTA, Scout Council. etc. ( they are often not recognized as recruiters, but greeters)
VCCA ,at an initial look appears to present an entirely different mission and cause that more times than not is focused inward.
When we find several members that fit the "outreach person" mold we should recoginize their calling and use them when we need to reach out , like here on what could very well be the major outreach tool of the National Club.....

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I've been quiet in the recent weeks, but have followed some of the threads from time to time. A major addition on my home has kept me very busy.
I can't help commenting on this subject as it has returned a number of times. Every time I hear that someone feels they have been neglected at a meet or has a problem "breaking the ice" with some of the founding fathers of our smaller groups, it makes me think that the VCCA should make adjustments to it's policies.
I know what the creed is and that may be the problem.
Perhaps the VCCA should drop it's stand on stock only and nothing but stock. My 32 Sport Coupe is dead stock and will stay that way as long as I own it. However, I will not bad mouth or talk down to anyone that has a car that is not all stock. Chevrolets are loved by many people and a lot of the motor heads out there like to change the car to thier perticular liking. If a guy has 69 ralley wheels on a 55 Belair...so what. It's his car. He loves his Chevy just as much as I love mine. And, I think we could have a very interesting conversation about both my car and his.
We all need to step back a little and remember something. That is we are all car nuts. He may spend just as much time on his car as I do. I may be trying to find that NOS part...but guess what?...so is he.
When it comes to car shows then he is at a disadvantage if he's at a VCCA meet. He knows that. Perhaps...(I'm ready to duck) the VCCA should have a "modified group". I've said it before that if not for Louis and Zora, Chevy would just be another GM clone.
I know this is going to rattle some feathers, but I feel the time has come to reach out and embrace some of the other side. There are potential members out there. If the VCCA wants to grow, then let's recognize all the "other" Chevy nuts!

Chat Group Chapter Member
Current rides;
1968 Camaro rs/SS 350 4spd
2000 Blazer LT
2005 Malibu Maxx
2007 Acura TDX
Last total restoration;
1932 Sport Coupe
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I have been on the Chevy talk forum since the membership was around 3,000. The membership now exceeds 20,000 and there is a vast difference in the type of members out there, it is still a great site but way back when members accepted the rules and the judgement of the monitors and now we see considerable argument about monitors decisions, efforts to get around the no profanity rules, and other changes which come with a larger diverse membership base. I am still there and will remain but disagree with the change for changes sake attitude.

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
I do agree that multi classes for Modified, street rod, mild custom are logicial for many Chevrolet lovers.....BUT, let's face one reality...VCCA is dedicated to "Restoration and preservation of Chevrolets (in the original condition, ie. as the car was originally sold.) That looks to me like VCCA is the club for a certain nitch of Chevrolet lovers with the desire to "Keep 'em original"
Many of us do appreciate the Chevrolet street rods appeal and there are many clubs that follow those lines. If you can't stand cars that are kept in the original stock condition, consider that maybe you should leave and join another club.

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Mr. Mack
Look at what you just wrote.
I thought we were discussing ways to keep the membership or make it grow.
???????
And...I did say that I have an all stock '32 Coupe...and that I'll keep that way! :eek:

Current rides;
2000 Blazer LT
2005 Malibu Maxx
2007 Acura TDX
Last total restoration;
1932 Sport Coupe
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
BUT, we want to recruit members that desire to follow the creed of the VCCA, not necessairly those that want to CHANGE the Club's traditional goals.(IMHO) That is exactly what I said.....and what I mean.
If you can't stand cars that are kept in the original stock condition, consider that maybe you should leave and join another club.

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
So.....what about the street rods and modifieds that are being judged in the VCCA currently? Doesn't that automatically mean that they are recognized and accepted as part of the VCCA group, which is against the mission statement of the club? :confused: :confused: :confused:

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
No....

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
With comments like "...maybe you should leave and join another club". It's no wonder some guys don't get warm and fuzzy feelings.

Here I took a break from this board for weeks, and that's the kind of greeting I get. Now I know what some guys are talking about.

Current rides;
2000 Blazer LT
2005 Malibu Maxx
2007 Acura TDX
Last total restoration;
1932 Sport Coupe
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Fuzzy feeling? Please read the the part of the quote "IF YOU CAN'T STAND CARS THAT ARE KEPT IN THE ORIGINAL STOCK CONDITION...., THEN CONSIDER THAT MAYBE YOU SHOULD LEAVE AND JOIN ANOTHER CLUB....

Are you trying to tell me that we should recruit those people into VCCA?

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
No??

Only Chevrolets and Forerunners that are recognized by the VCCA qualify for judging. And, if a Chevrolet does not qualify for judging, (due to the mission statement of the VCCA), such as a 1982 model because of the year of manufacture, then it is for display only. However, since street rods and modifieds are accepted for judging at various sanctioned VCCA meets regardless, instead of being classified for "display only", it appears to some of us that they must some how now be recognized by the national VCCA...without the rest of us knowing about it, even though it is totally against the club's mission statement and rules concerning original cars. And, the mission statement, as far as we know, has not
changed. :eek: :eek: :eek:

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Come on JYD, just because a VCCA???? meet fails to go by the rules and By-Laws of VCCA does not change the rules, it just shows the meet that allows Street rods and modifieds to be judged is a maverick. That does not mean other sanctioned VCCA events MUSt allow modifieds and street rods to be judged or even allowed to enter. Just because you see a billy goat setting in the front seat of someone's car doesn't mean you are obligated to go out and hire a billy goat to be your chaffeur!

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Come on Macky Wacky........a Maverick? Well.....we gotta lot of "Mavericks" (that was a F O R D wasn't it?) in the VCCA then based on your theory. So, if regions that don't follow the rules or the VCCA By-Laws and do allow street rods and modifieds as part of the judging process, (when the national is apparently condoning it) how should that be handled then? Should these regions not be allowed to have sanctioned meets, or?? Shouldn't everyone follow the same rules? :confused: :confused: Obviously, all of the regions that host sanctioned VCCA events should definitely be on the same page, (as well as the national), as to what should be judged and what not should be judged based on the current rules of cars being stock in the VCCA.

I'm sure that the national judging committee is aware of street rods and modifieds being judged and there has been a great discussion on this in the past by those in the national that know full well as to what is going on regarding this issue. Again, if vehicles of this type are being judged at various sanctioned events (Mavericks as you call them) around the country, then it must be assumed by the rest of us regular dudes that these vehicles are either apparently now recognized by the VCCA and that the "statement" of the VCCA has changed (without us knowing it) or they would not be allowed on the judging field by the national VCCA in the first place..or that somebody is not following the clubs statement. And, if the club's "statement" has not changed, then street rods and modifieds should be for display only at all sanctioned VCCA meets and not judged. By the way, the only other "Maverick" that I am aware of is the old TV show that is currently in re-runs starring James Garner. laugh laugh

On the Billy goat issue.....from what I have seen, they would probably make better chauffeurs than some dudes that currently drive vehicles on the public highways!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

The Mangy Old Mutt

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Is not this club called The "Vintage" chevrolet club? If a car is modified all it is, Is a Vintage body chevrolet? If you allow in modifieds, and street rods, then the club creed will have to be changed. If ya like street rods & modifieds, then the VCCA is not for you, plain & simple. If we change the very core of the meaning of club i.e. The PRESEVATION of chevrolets, then this "ART" of restoring a car, will be lost!!! I feel we should spend MORE time on getting younger people interested in RESTORING instead, of chopping, and modifiying!! If we can do that then, one will take care of the other...

Just an opinion! Fleet47

"Heaven is Driving my 47"
With that "GOOD GULF" gasoline.
http://www.gulfhistory.org/?
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
JYD why be such a stickler for the rules if you don't intend to follow them yourself? I really don't think that is the "Real You".... If you don't like the rules, don't play the damn game! I really think you are for everyone following the same rules. I know I am. I don't think it is ok to soup up a Chevy four then run it in a tour advertized as VCCA National Pre 29 tour either, even if there isn't any judging done. I think in this club VCCA, any sanctioned meet or event should be restricted to "Stock, as originally sold to the first owner during the car's model year. If we want to join other clubs that allow modifieds and street rods, advertize the event as a "Non-VCCA sanctioned event" I would not hesitate to attend such an event. I would just not expect to get a VCCA award for attending that event.

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Hey Macky Wacky: Obviously,I need to tap you gently upside the head with one of Donald's 1932 hand cranks, with the socket on the end, to get your attention! Ha ha! laugh laugh I don't think that you read what I posted correctly or maybe you didn't totally understand what I was saying. laugh

First, you made the statement that: "JYD why be such a stickler for the rules if you don't intend to follow them yourself?" How can you come up with that one when I have been saying all along that both the national and the regions have to be on the same page regarding the club's mission statement when it comes to judging street rods at various meets? Further, I don't own a street rod, nor would I bring it to sanctioned VCCA meets to have it judged if I did since it is against the club's statement, and no where was I supporting street rods as part of the judging process. I only made the statement that it was happening at some meets. And, I have been talking about both the regions and the national alike, following the same rules regarding the club's statement regarding original cars in my previous postings. Like you, I am strictly a stocker (I do like street rods though and I enjoy going to street rod meets as well), so it is apparent that you misunderstood as to what I am talking about concerning the street rods that are being judged vs. the VCCA's published statement of "original" cars only.

Second, "If you don't like the rules, don't play the damn game!" Again, you have missed my whole concept concerning the fact, that in some cases, the national appears not to be playing by their own rules and that both the national and the regions should play by the exact same rules concerning the VCCA mission statement, as stated in my previous posting. They are condoning street rods being judged at some meets when their own club statement is against it. And by doing so, they are sending an indirect statement to the rest of us that apparently street rods do possibly qualify for judging, when, in fact, they don't under the current VCCA rules.

You also said: "I really think you are for everyone following the same rules." Now, that statement you definitely got right, ( yipp ) and if you will please take the time and go back and read my previous postings, you will understand that was exactly what I have been saying all along.

Further, you said: "I think in this club VCCA, any sanctioned meet or event should be restricted to "Stock, as originally sold to the first owner during the car's model year". Exactly....that's the club's statement and that is not happening at some meets with street rods being judged as I tried to point out to you in my previous postings. Again, if you will go back and study what I have posted, you will see that my point was the same as yours regarding the club's mission statement in the first place, but that it came from a different direction than yours. laugh laugh

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Nahh!,, I didn't miss your point JYD, You and I have agreed on this subject for a long time. BUT maybe I just act a bit WACKY!....also "If you don't like the rules don't play the damn game is directed at those that complain about the rules being out of touch because VCCA don't have a Street Rod or modified class, not you or anyone else that insist that the replaced parts be correct and the judging sheet being as close to 100% correct, for every car, as the judging team can make it....I also don't want to play the game unless everyone plays by the SAME RULES. Like the sign in Walmart says"Shoplifting is not cute, cool, or smart, it is a crime" So is cheating at a show. It is not ethical, it is cheating. Just because a judge doesn't catch a covered up incorrect part, if it was my car that won over your better car, I would feel that not disclosing the defect is Cheating.

The VCCA needs to get on the same page and stay there, at every sanctioned meet. It is a matter of honor and acreditability.

I have also seen several very good cars get the thumbs down and another car get first place for another reason than it being the best car, without any good explanation of why.

As for a tap up beside the head, make it the left side, it maybe it would improve my profile!

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Agree on all of the above including you being Wacky! But, one point that I don't agree on is that a tap on the leftside of your head will improve your profile. Nothing will help that!! Bow Wow Wow! laugh laugh laugh :eek: :eek: :eek:

The Mangy Old Mutt

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.