Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Well, somebody has to get started on this particular section...!

I rescued a 4-door '78 Malibu Classic from a would-be teenage hot rodder that I plan to fix up for my wife as a daily driver. There's another similar Malibu I spotted on the road that I want to make an offer for parts.

Given that the parts car might be year off either way, what years are compatible with the '78 for the doors and fenders?

ES

World's Greatest

Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
"The World's Best Chevrolet Club"
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Hi ED,
This may not be of much help, but from what iv'e seen (noticed because i had 77 elky until recently) the chevell,malibu and elkys are very ,if not same, in front on 77 and 78's.

Its kind of sad, theres quite a few in the yards around here.Untouched.

Have fun!
Kevin

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Hi Ed. I've owned a 79, 81, and 83 Malibu. I'm no expert on these cars but my 81 daily driver wagon looks to have the exact same fenders as my wifes 83 4 door driver. I think most of the yearly changes were just grills, front and rear lights and a few other small subtle things. I beleive the major pats will inter change freely. Here's a pic of my all original 81 Malibu Woody Wagon. It's got just about every option available from the factory and 95% of it still works laugh

http://www.chevytalk.com/membersrides/members3/55redneck3.jpg

Sometimes a man's got to do what a woman would never consider
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks, guys. From your experiences, I sense that the main body parts are pretty interchangable within a rough 4~5 year span. The wagon is a nice keeper, 55. You're making me jealous... :) ...!

I visited the parts car yesterday. It's a '79 - a pretty rough looking beater, and the guy wants $500 because "somebody could use it to drive around". Yeah, uh-huh. :rolleyes: But..I need the doors, so I think I'll have to give in.

ES

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
ED,
What motor does the parts car have?

So, you get 2 doors for $500. a motor and extra parts thrown in for free.
Thumbs up! yipp

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
The seller didn't know, but it looked like a 305. The '78 I have is a 350.

You have a point. I don't think I would do any better if I tried to buy parts individually. It's just disappointing to pay that much when most people let clunkers go for parts for about $150~$200.

ES

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Just remember that they aslo put 267's in these cars. My brother got fooled thinking his was a 305 until I told him to look at the data tag on the radiator mount.

Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.