Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Points for my car ?

I had a great time back in September {2005} at my first VCCA judged show. Lots of great cars, fun people and valuable experiences. I even got to lend a hand judging.

The SF Region {CA} put on a great show and Larry, one of the key judges was great to talk to about the event and the process of judging. And I was excited about entering my car at that show {1941 Special Deluxe Coupe}.

The National VCCA Judging Committee was some how going to combine the points of the SFR with an Orange County Region show {Oct. 9, 05} and thus the events/cars/points were going to be combined {??}.

Thus my Question: Have the tallies {points} been completed for my class or does any one know the results of the combined events ??

{if this is hard to read, you should have had to write about it}

Thanks
Michael41

Michael
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I have never heard of combined points-whats this all about?

In any VCCA event where I had a car judged the judging sheet used with points deducted was mailed back to me after a week or two.It had nothing to do with any outher judging event.

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Micheal, we are still waiting for the results to come from Larry. As soon as they arrive we can get your forms back to you. The people concerned have been contacted.

Gene, Area 1 had their meet split between two regions in two different areas over a two week period. If one person attended one, one day meet, then they could not enter in the other meet. Then the results of both days were sent in to the awards chair as one meet. We have a motion to the National Board regarding the issue of whether more than one national meet can be held during the same year. It has been an interesting discussion and has both pros and cons.

Steve Scott- VCCA Judging Committee
1985 Type 10 Cavalier Conv.
1986 Cavalier RS Conv.
https://nirvcca.wordpress.com/
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
I don't want to dig in the worm bed and bring up a subject that has been horse whooped to death on this forum. That subject is the definition of a National meet.

For many years, the car owners on the west coast have operated under a major handicap. The only authorized meet, that included formal judging, was the NWMeet. This meet is held annually and sponsored by one of the clubs that make up the NW area. Don't wish to overlook AllCal on this, but they have conducted judging on an irregular frequency and have not conducted one for several years.

Another handicap suffered by the west coast was the interputation of the various classes and how you advance. The procedure for years required your car to win its class and score 900 points. This is at the junior level. After successfully meeting both criteria the car was advanced to the senior level. The vehicle now faced the same rules. Win in class and the 900 points. If successful the car advanced to Senior Oval. Same criteria for the next step. The Senior Oval car had to win class and achieve 900 points in order to be classified for Preservation. Under this system it took 4 YEARS for a car to qualify for the Miniature Preservation at the very least. If it stumbled anytime on the way up, that just added another year to the progress of moving up the ladder.

A specific example, my 1941 coupe faced high dollar professional restorations two years in a row. So in the third year it finally started up the ladder. At the senior lever it was declared to have an incorrect engine in error. With the mandatory deduction of 50 points, plus the other deductions in the other areas, back down the ladder by one rung as it failed to score the mandatory 900 points. All of this by a car that took first in class at a Concur de Elegance before the first VCCA judging.

Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks Scott, I'll be standing by.....

Sorry, didn't mean to open up a can of worms...The SFR event was Great !! As was Larry.

Happy New Year.
Michael41

Michael
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Steve-Thanks for the explanation.

Ray-I thought things were better on the west coast.Now glad I am in the mid-west.

Michael-no problem

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Ray the shame of it is that every Area should have a National Meet, but it is a problem when nobody wants to host it. That is the only reason for the lack of opportunities
John

John

1954 Belair Sport Coupe
1960 2 door Impala Hardtop 348/340HP 4spd
1962 2 door Impala Hardtop 409/409 4spd
1962 2 Door Biscayne Sedan 327/250 Auto
1977 Monza Mirage 305 4 Speed
1988 Celebrity Wagon
2018 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Diesel
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I also think part of the problem is a lack of interest on the part of the membership in some areas of the country.

We can have a Central Meet in Ohio and have attendance from Canada, Florida, Wisconsin, New Jersey, and all areas between.

The Central Meet has operated this way since the very first Meet in June 1964 when we had 65 vehicles from 13 states in attendance in Urbana, Ohio.

When the Mid-West Meet started a few years later it followed the same pattern.

Both areas cooperate and many members attend both Meets. They are about thirty days apart.

Our Area Directors are our leaders and they keep it all together and running like a well oiled machine. The meets are hosted by a different region each year and we know several years in advance when our region will host the meet.

All it takes is leadership and cooperation.

See you Touring the Back Roads

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Steve, or any one familiar with this answer;

Do we have in place, "Standards & Practices" re: when and how judging information {points, tallies, remarks, etc.} is returned to a car owner who's car was judged in a VCCA event ?

Thank you,
Michael41

Michael
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
In any approved national judging, the judging form is returned to the owner, after it has been recorded at the national level. Usually about 6 weeks.

Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman

1925 Superior K Roadster
1933 Eagle, Coupe

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Michael,

Your question is the one we asked when we began the judging revisions in 1998. The answer is yes we do have an established "Standard Pracice."

We have the VCCA Judging Form, which is the foundation on which the rest of the program is built. We then formulated the VCCA Judging Manual which gives the National guidlines for all meets across the country. When we developed the form and manual we then established the judging school program which allowed members of the judging committee to travel around the country and inform members on these practices.

I don't believe the committee developed the manual as a strict "Gospel" to be abosolutely adhered to but, rather, as a guide to assist area members on running a Nationally Sanctioned Meet. Each meet has certain things that require people to make adjustments and revisions. Many chief judges have had to change some things to make the meet work.

There are some basic protocols that we ask of each meet. Such things as filling out forms, sending results, award issuance, judging teams and procedure are a few examples.

A Nationally Sanctioned Meet is any VCCA event where National Judging occurs. A National Meet occurs in one of the geographical Areas of the club. According to Board Policy only one National Meet can occur in an Area during that calendar year. This year we had a National Meet in Areas 1,3,4-6, 7,8,9,10, and 11. We did not have a National Meet in Area 2 and 12. To have a meet or not have a meet is at the descretion of the members and their regions in each Area. We encourage each Area to have a meet so that the members have that service available to them, despite whether Area leadership does or does not like judging. We also hope each Area offers all of the other member services that have been created for the club. (Tours, swap meets, fund raisings,etc.)

Ray, you mentioned the All-Cal "Meet." As of right now, it is not a true Nationally Sanctioned "Meet." It is a sanctioned event for members of the VCCA and has approval by the Area Director who is responsible for the event. They schedule it on the calendar and insurance is approved for liability but it is not a "Meet." It is more of what I would term a "Tour." A key to the Meet component is Class Judging and HPOCF certification. We will also be offering a CDPC class next year which will be the Chevrolet Driver Participation Class, similar to the AACA program. We are in the final stages of development for that as we speak.

Personally, it would give a great excitment if the All-Cal "Meet" would offer class judging as a part of it's agenda. I know the group that attends that event is much more attracted to Touring, which is great, but it would be a true National Meet if, somehow time were alotted for judging. I have never been to one so I am not sure if that can be done in the present context.

The judging committee is always available to help with new ideas and plans to assist members with judging questions and needs. We would be happy to conduct a school, to assist in a new Meet or whatever the needs of the members in that area request.

I know, I am long-winded. To summarize: We have the following meets:

VCCA Anniversary Meet (every 5 years)
National Meet (Area Meet 1/per area)

There are no "Regional Meets, Local Meets. These would be strictly fund raising car shows and swap meets.

Hope this helps.

stressed

Steve Scott- VCCA Judging Committee
1985 Type 10 Cavalier Conv.
1986 Cavalier RS Conv.
https://nirvcca.wordpress.com/
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
I know, I am long-winded. To summarize: We have the following meets:

VCCA Anniversary Meet (every 5 years)
National Meet (Area Meet 1/per area)

There are no "Regional Meets, Local Meets. These would be strictly fund raising car shows and swap meets.
WOW! This is really an eye opener. Gotta hit the books on this one. Where have I been?

Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman

1925 Superior K Roadster
1933 Eagle, Coupe

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Steve, Thanks for your reply, I understand your comments and the over all goal of VCCA judged events a bit more.

I will review the manual and bone up so I may be of value in July, should I be asked to assist with judging.

As for me, if you don't mind me single minded, I am awaiting the tallies & report on a SFV, VCCA Judged event in October, 05. Thus I am not sure of the time lines or protocols on timing.

Once more thanks Steve for your reply.
Michael

Michael
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Oops! Maybe I was not clear here, as I scan my posting.

What I need to know is: When can I expect tallies & or results from a VCCA sanctioned judging "meet" in October 05 ???

Thanks to who ever may have an answer or reply,
Michael41

Michael
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Steve,

Have you received the results from Larry yet? I see as of December 26, 2005 you still hadn't received them.

Some of the members in Orange County are wondering (I am one of them) if we will ever get our results or if our second date of the joint meet is now considered not to be a sanctioned meet and that is the reason we haven't heard anything.

An update would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim Karras, #43031
Orange, CA
‘54 Chevrolet Bel Air 4-Door Sedan
'59 Chevrolet Apache 32 Stepside Pickup
'64 Chevrolet Impala Super Sport
‘10 Chevrolet Impala LS
‘15 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ
E-mail: JimKarras@aol.com
Web: https://www.59apache.com/
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Howdy Jim,

I have not received any information, reviews. tallies or reports from the October 05 event to date.

October was my first judged event and as a newer member of VCCA I am unaware of time lines, methodologies, judging standards & practices, etc. Nor do I know who's responsibility this falls under. {local, national or?}

When I do receive information I will let you know. And if you get any thing back, please let me know.

Thanks
Michael41

Michael
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Wow, seems like a long time to receive your points.

Jim Barnhart
Temple City, California

Link to Jim's Chevy
1929 Sedan
1969 Corvette Coupe
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Michael,

If I hear anything I will let you know. Maybe, Steve can give us a report here so everyone will know what the hold up is.

Jim Karras, #43031
Orange, CA
‘10 Chevrolet Impala LS
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks Jim, I will be waiting along with you.

In a previous note {Dec. 26, 05} Steve said he "has contacted the people responsible." Not sure what that means exactly but since then nothing has happened.

My goal is rather simple, get the results so I can do a few more things to my chevy BEFORE the Anniversary meet. But with my occupational schedule, even for a July 06, event, "The Clock is Ticking."

My other issue is also simple, I don't care how long something takes, just TELL ME BEFORE, so I can plan.

Be well,
Michael41

Michael
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Michael,

I agree. I should point out that I am not criticizing anyone at all. As Mr. Mack pointed out in another thread, all of these services are performed by volunteers willing to take the time and effort to do so because of their love for these old Chevrolets. So, although I am anxious, I do understand on the list of the priorities of life, this may not be at the top, but an update on the status of our results would still be nice to hear. In any event, I am appreciative to be a member of the club and I look forward to learning of the things I can do to shoot for the Senior Oval at the next meet! :)

Jim Karras, #43031
Orange, CA
‘10 Chevrolet Impala LS
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Howdy Jim, I hear you on the volunteer issues. I'm also thankful for ALL of the VCCA people who have gone out of there way to help me & the club. Always.

My view on accepting responsibilities is, If I can not preform the task in a reasonable amount of time with a reasonable amount of quality, I simply do not take it on. It's the only fair way to treat people as I see it. Just my view mind you.

A couple of senior VCCA members have told me that receiving information back from an judged event can take 2-6 months typically. So I am waiting. All I can say is "Just let me know."

M

Michael
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
March 2, 2006. Waiting!!

Michael
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Michael,

I just received my results today! There was a nice letter from the Division 1 Chief Judge explaining the delay. So, check your mailbox tomorrow and hopefully your packet will be waiting for you!

I feel much better after reading the letter I received. :)

Jim Karras, #43031
Orange, CA
‘10 Chevrolet Impala LS
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thank you Jim, much appreciated. I'll look forward to that info.

Are you driving that great looking truck to Colorado?

Michael

Michael
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I decided to drive here to Flint from Detroit for the Board Meeting. Never been to one. I want to see how issues are decided for this Club. Think I might ask why there is such a long lead time to get some of the judging results.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.