Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#54781 09/18/04 11:58 AM
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Can someone tell me how i can find some information how the front spring leaf are curve.
The springs are to flat and i like to know how high each spring leaf are. idea

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

#54782 09/28/04 06:59 PM
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Bluezone,
I am not a spring person but I too would like to see some comments on the subject. The front springs on all the 26-28's I have seen were flat. I would even tolerate a little sag If I could manage to soften the springs a bit on my 28 Roadster, as it rides like a brick. I also would like to add shock absorbers as my 28, like 27 and earlier, does not have them. I think the rear would benifit from softer springs and shocks as well.
Herb

#54783 09/28/04 07:37 PM
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Several companys advertise springs in every issue of Hemmings Motor News. They claim to have specifications for early models. I once took springs to a company in K.C. Mo to have them re-arched. They seemed to know just what to do and it was not expensive. Maybe there is a spring company near you that can help. Flat springs would negatively affect the ride of your vehicle. Getting your suspension back to factory specs would probably improve the ride and handling. It helped a lot on the truck I was working on.
Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
#54784 09/28/04 08:15 PM
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Bluezone-

I'm not going to be able to answer your question, but I once had a set of rear spring made for my 1927 coupe from a local supplier called Eaton Springs. At the time I was impressed with the large number of original bule prints that they had on file going back into the early 1900. They have a web site www.eatonsprings.com If you contact them, you will need to be ready to tell them the year and body style of the vehicle and number of leafs the spring has that you are in need of.

Herb-

When I restored my 28 Roadster I took the springs apart. I was surprised to find that,on the rear springs in particular, the ends of each leaf had worn a three sided box into the leaf surface that it was in contact with. These worn in box areas were restricting the spring leafs from sliding across each other during compression. They were just as you describe, stiff as a brick during ride motions. I corrected this condition by chamfering the ends of each leaf and grinding away the sides of the boxes that had been formed, do to wear over the years. While apart, I mannually re-cambered the main leafs in my bench wise. (Don't over do it).

On my current 1928 project, the vehicle had Delco Lovejoy lever action shock absorbers when I purchased it. I'm not sure what year these shocks were designed for, but each spring had the short 1928/1929 snubber leafs removed and a neat cast spacer installed at the U-clamps to fill the gap were the snubber springs had been removed. The installation also had cast spring to axle U-bolt lower clamp plates designed to accommodate the strap between the shock lever arm and clamp plates at all four locations. I've never seen shock absorbers on a 28 before and since I'm attempting to accomplish an authentic restoration, I'm planning on their removal unless I can find some documentation to validate their usage. I'm wondering if these shock absorbers were part of some other GM product at that point in time, but the fact that there are exact fit blocks added at the original snubber spring locations really bugs me. Anyone have any words of wisdom for me on this issue?

#54785 10/04/04 12:25 AM
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Oldie,

It is my understanding that several suppliers provided aftermarket shock packages for the 28, however Rusty Fender 28, ie. Ron B., provided pictures a couple of years ago of the shocks on his 28 Coupe. I believe these were an original Chevrolet option but were Houdaille shocks similar to Model A, not like the lever action 29-30n etc Chev. Perhaps he can repost the photos.

Herb

#54786 10/04/04 03:54 PM
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Hi everybody , and thank's fore reply.
Today, I have cold hammer my front springs after "Judged by the eye" method and the result looks great at this time. auto The spring have a nice curce and the shackles are almost 90' from the frame.
Sorry, My englich are not so good.
From Norway Arvid

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.