Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Did some 28 chevy coupes come with a rumble seat? I saw one on line but didn't know if it was converted from a trunk? Can anyone help me with how to convert my trunk version to a rumble seat? Where can I get he parts etc..?

Scott

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Scott,
My '28 Roadster has a Trunk but there was evidence that someone had attempted to convert to a rumble seat, and it was an absolute mess. The door, hinges, latches and panels above and below the door are all different. If you must have a rumble seat I would reccommend you buy the entire back end off a body that has one and be prepared for a bit of meticulous refitting. I also attempted to convert my '28 Coupe to a Cabriolet in 1948 and it was even more of a mess, doors flying open, nothing fitting, etc.
Herb

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Scott
there is a fair bit of modification to make the trunk lid into a rumble seat lid the rear quarters will have to be removed and a small section cut out for the upper pannel to fit into. the timber frame will also want a crossbrace fitted to support the upper panel as well as getting the lid and the hinges and the support arms, send me a drawing of your cars rear and I will redimention it off the rumble seat from my cabriolet Jim (Hattonhill@bigpond.com.au)

Jim

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.