Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I need help finding a vendor that has the cardboard, headliner for a 1936 Chevrolet pickup...... you know the form fitted cardboard type liner that goes on the inside of the cab roof..... Jim Carter used to carry them... but 'Out of Stock' there now....
Any other ideas about an alternative type headliner, that is Not original.... any help or ideas will be appreciated.....
thanks, Sunny

1934 Chevrolet Master sedan
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
You might consider buying a headliner for a larger truck cab and cutting it to size.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Have you considered cosulting an upholstery shop? They have the expertise to do that type of work.

J Franklin
Lou Offline
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
. The headliner I got fits double unit cab, Panel and Canopy but not suburban. It's a flat piece of cardboard with instructions how to wet and bend to fit. In the 37 half ton Canopy, it doesn't go back to the bulk head. (See pix) .

Attached Images
3965 Int .jpg
Last edited by Lou; 03/14/24 03:02 PM.
ChatMaster - 3,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 3,000
No one makes a cardboard headliner for the '36/'37'/'38 trucks. The fiberglass one that Jim Carter carries is not correct for all '36 Low Roof cabs. My '36 does not have a header panel above the windshield. The original headliner curved all the way down to the top of the windshield. At the back, it curved down to the top of the rear glass.
I have tried to form the cardboard sheets but have had no success.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Just as I thought... the '36 headliner curves in four directions on four edges, (front, rear and both sides... I think I might try the stick on sound proofing/insulation material... and then spray to cover that with a heavy paint bed liner type paint... unless there are other good ideas out there... no vintage auto upholstery shops within 500 miles of me....

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I would consider getting a little “artistic” to find a solution.

Use some of the life skills you learned in kindergarten. Buy some heavy art board at an art supply house. Use scissors and double sided tape to make your headliner. Use a spray bottle with water to dampen it so you a form it. Form it over things like paint cans and old pillows. Let it dry in that shape and tape it to the roof.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 3,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 3,000
The textured cardboard that is available can be bent in one direction without much damage or distortion to the grained side. It does not like to be bent in the 90 degree direction. The texture bunches up and cannot be restored. In theory, you can make score cuts on the back side so that the back expands when bent, instead of the textured side bunching. We were never successful at this.
Someone told me to soak with alcohol and it would evaporate without leaving a stain. No luck with that either.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I have not done this for a head liner but it might be worth a try for the curved parts. When I made model train sets we often used paper-mache to form hills and mountains. Using just white glue and news print a tough surface and be formed to most curves. Not difficult smooth out once it is hardened either.

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Great Ideas... Thank all of you for your Suggestions..... I will be trying some of them in the months ahead... right now I am working on the suspension, brake lines & wiring... will get to the interior this spring....

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.