Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#488796 01/16/24 04:48 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I probably hadn't mentioned that I purchased the 41 Special Deluxe several months ago and have been waiting for him to search for the title amongst other things. I'm not sure how to get it titled in Tennessee without the original title. The old car is really in excellent condition appearance wise (I've posted photos elsewhere) but haven't heard it run. The old gentleman (very well off) told me it ran great the last time he drove it and that he drove it about 500 miles. He said it had been started about a year ago and warmed to operating temperature at idle and not run since. It has a battery in it with a warranty dated late 2022 so I believe him, plus he isn't the kind of person who would deliberately lead you astray.

They made some undesirable alterations that I don't like, but not something that can't be remedied if need be. I want to mention them to the experts on this forum who seem to be near encyclopedias of the era with hopes of getting some good advice.

1. The original 216 engine was replaced with a 235 from a 1954 sedan. I wish it had the original engine, but I also assume that it wasn't replaced for no good reason. I'm assuming it broke to a point beyond repair. But the seller has 3 engines sitting aside, two 216s and another 235 that were reportedly removed from their original autos when folks wanted V8s installed. As I understand it, neither of the 216s are the original engines from this car. If that's true, the 3 engines could be in good condition, or not, but I think I'm going to buy all three since he's offering them dirt cheap and good engines seem to be in short supply.

2. He says the vacuum shift mechanisms have all been rebuilt or replaced but still did not work. If whoever did the work didn't know the adjustment procedure for the shift system, it may just need fine-tuning. Anyway, my first inclination was to replace the vacuum part with the rod that would allow it to be shifted without vacuum. But listening to you folks, it appears the vacuum system works really well if set up correctly so, I'm ruling out modifying as something I would do.

3. His mechanic changed the floor starter switch system to an in dash keyed switch out of a more modern car. I really like the idea of the floor starter system as a novelty and can't understand why they did that. The only thing I can think is the owner is up in age and the floor starter might have been hard for him to manipulate. I intend to return it to stock. I would bet the floor switch is in one of the boxes of parts.

4. The battery has been dead for some time even though it's not that old. I had asked him to charge the battery and he said he did, and the motor turned over easily. The battery may still have warranty on it. This probably adds credence to their contention that the car was started a year ago. He said he doesn't have much use for Chevrolets. After reading many comments about replacement batteries, I think I might go with an Optima unless someone convinces me to do otherwise.

5 He said when he started it last time, the rebuilt carburetor was probably may be gummed up from sitting making it run and idle poorly. Probably means the fuel lines and tank need to be cleaned out thoroughly before I attempt to start it.

6. I don't know why the upper dash panel is not wood grained as I have seen in pics of this year and style. Any thoughts?

The car has been repainted once, but if you didn't know the code on the under-hood data plate says it came from the factory green, you'd be hard pressed to immediately recognize the redo. The under-hood, door jams and everywhere appeared original which is baffling to me. Well, when I found examples of the green color, I thought I understand why they changed color on it. There is no indication that there had ever been body repairs or panels replaced so someone went through a lot of trouble and expense to change the color. The paint is somewhat dull, but after closer inspection I agreed to buy it. I cleaned a spot on the fender and waxed it finding that it will buff up quite nicely. It has been sitting for several years at least. My best friend who had known the original owner for many years (now passed on) kept it garaged for its entire life.

What I can see of the original upholstery, it looks in very good condition for its age and compared to others. The headliner is in fairly good shape without tears or worn material. It has covers seats and backs that were expertly installed making me wonder what's underneath it. I would like to see for myself. What you can see, is not ripped or worn through. The car shows 111k miles.

He put beautiful stock size wide whitewalls on the car 2 years ago and the tread appears to confirm that. He is giving me every part that he has for the car including another excellent gauge cluster, 3 radios (one short wave) and boxes of other parts that include additional accessories that aren't mounted yet. The spotlight had been removed for some unknown reason, but there is one that comes with the car in the back floorboard. The car was a bargain in my opinion at $12K.

If anyone has comments, please do so. I have come to trust you all simply by reading hundreds of posts on the forum Thanks in advance for any help you can add.

Last edited by ChevyTwoTen; 01/16/24 06:37 PM.

A long time Chevy lover. First car 54 chevy Bel Air, second car 1955 Delray. Current Chevys 2023 Camaro, 1955 210 Delray (show car), a 2020 Chevy BoltEV and most recent purchase, 1941 Chevy Special Deluxe.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Welcome to the VCCA.
The 54 engine starter would use a push button to start the engine.

1946 Chevy 3100 1/2 Ton Pickup Purchased 11/18/17 Sold 9/20
1948 Chevy Fleetmaster Coupe, Purchased 6/20/2010
1965 Chevy ll 350 Purchased Feb 2021. 3-speed Saginaw Hurst Floor Shifter 3.08 Rear End

2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
These old cars go through a lot of changes as they are passed among various owners. I expect that you will not be able to trace how many people have owned this car. Or why it is in the configuration it is.

Please do not try to start the engine without doing the correct preparation. Go to the Helpful Information forum and read, re-read, re-read, and follow those steps. I have never been around a non-running car that was started as recently as the owner claims.

If the battery is dead don’t waste your time. I chuckle to myself whenever I talk to a classic car owner who spends thousands on a car and will try to save $100 by not replacing a marginal battery.

Check the date code on the tires. You will never wear out a set of tires on one of these classic cars. They will age out. Once again, in the owner’s mind it might have been only 2 years ago. Maybe he has a receipt.

Whatever you do, HAVE FUN!

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Try calling Trish, at the Nashville DMV concerning getting title for your 41 Chevy. I had a salvage title form CA on a 40 Chevy Master Deluxe that I was able to get a TN rebuilt title with some hoops to jump through. I live in Clarksville, TN.

Here is her phone number: 615-253-7248. Not sure the proceedure when you don't have a title, but hopefully she can give you some help.

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Originally Posted by Rusty 37 Master
These old cars go through a lot of changes as they are passed among various owners. I expect that you will not be able to trace how many people have owned this car. Or why it is in the configuration it is.

Please do not try to start the engine without doing the correct preparation. Go to the Helpful Information forum and read, re-read, re-read, and follow those steps. I have never been around a non-running car that was started as recently as the owner claims.

If the battery is dead don’t waste your time. I chuckle to myself whenever I talk to a classic car owner who spends thousands on a car and will try to save $100 by not replacing a marginal battery.

Check the date code on the tires. You will never wear out a set of tires on one of these classic cars. They will age out. Once again, in the owner’s mind it might have been only 2 years ago. Maybe he has a receipt.

I agree with you on the battery. What did you think of the Optima thought? I don't really care how many owners it has had, would sure like to know how long it's been sitting. The seller (to me) is an elderly gentleman and more as a friend than anything else. His mechanic who works full time for him said the car was started a year ago and it doesn't really matter. I intend to go through the hoops to do the start-up wisely and safely...if it will.

Whatever you do, HAVE FUN!
Originally Posted by RobN56
Try calling Trish, at the Nashville DMV concerning getting title for your 41 Chevy. I had a salvage title form CA on a 40 Chevy Master Deluxe that I was able to get a TN rebuilt title with some hoops to jump through. I live in Clarksville, TN.

Here is her phone number: 615-253-7248. Not sure the proceedure when you don't have a title, but hopefully she can give you some help.

I think I read your post concerning the title problem. Did you think at a time that you had been scammed? Anyway, I will give Trish a call. Our County Clerk's office has been closed for the last two days because of the weather. Hopefully it will be open tomorrow and I can try there first. If and when that doesn't work, I will give Trish the call to see what she can do to help. And...thanks for YOUR help!

A long time Chevy lover. First car 54 chevy Bel Air, second car 1955 Delray. Current Chevys 2023 Camaro, 1955 210 Delray (show car), a 2020 Chevy BoltEV and most recent purchase, 1941 Chevy Special Deluxe.
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
No, I wasn't scammed on the title. Bought the 1940 Chevy last September from a dealer up in Paducah. Salvage titles can be tricky, but I was able to get a clean title from TN with help from Trish in Nashville. Then I was able to register it here in Montgomery County. I don't know the procedure when you don't have a title. Hopefully your county clerks office can shed some light on that. Good luck!

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I called Nashville and spoke with Trisha (not Trish) and she led me directly to the document that will cut through tons of red tape. As soon as I can get the document to the past owner, I can get my title quickly. Thanks so much for your help, it was perfect.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.