Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I thought I would put this brake issue I am having out there and see if anyone else has had a similar issue and perhaps might be able to tell me what it could be.

I have a 1931 Independence. She has drum brakes all around of course. The front passenger side brake is the one that seems to be having the issue. When I am driving her around, every once in a while if I am moving at a very slow speed and step on the brake, her front right brake will let out a loud clunk and will lock up, causing a instant stop to movement. If I let off the brake it releases as it should and I can drive without issue. This only seems to happen at slow speeds, like for instance creeping forward in line at a four way stop.

If I am traveling at speed and press on the brake to come to a normal stop at say, a red light, the brakes work just as they should, allowing for a smooth slow down, etc. It only seems to happen if I am moving very slowly and it seems completely random. The only consistency I can find is that it does seem to happen more when she hasn't been driving around too long, in other words its more likely to happen in the first 10 minutes of driving rather than an hour or two out and about.

I haven't taken that side brake apart yet but I thought I would put the symptoms out there and see if someone else knows what might be going on. Again, the front right side brake will let out a loud mechanical clunk and lock up the tire for just a moment but will release the tire as normal if I let off the brake. I have also noticed that when she does this the brake pedal seems to feel a bit different, almost like it is longer in stroke than normal? But that part might just be my imagination.

I'm curious if what I am describing sounds familiar?

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
My 1st thought is a broken main shoe return spring though the release as normal may throw that out. Best way to check is to pull the wheels and brake drums off the front and clean and inspect everything. Brakes are the most important part to have working properly.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
My guess would be that you have some broken, missing, or disconnected, return or hold-down parts. Check it out ASAP. You will likely see it as soon as you open it up. Good luck.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
The consensus on several antique Chevy Facebook groups that I have asked the same question seems to be grease on the brake pad, which they say would account for the inconsistency of the issue and the fact that it only seems to happen when the brakes are cold. Thoughts?

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Hi Shadow

Yes
My thoughts exactly.
I also thought and still think you have grease on a brake lining.
Brake fluid will do exactly the same thing, but you of course don't have hydraulic brakes.
So that leaves... grease.

Last edited by Stovblt; 01/16/24 03:50 PM.

Ole S Olson
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
So whats the best way to clean it out? Would brake cleaner spray work?

ChatMaster - 1,500
Online Content
ChatMaster - 1,500
I think you need to take it apart and see if it is grease or something broken or disconnected. If it is grease you could try brake cleaner but it is very hard to get all of the grease out of a brake lining. Good Luck, you will figure it out!

Ed
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
The proper solution is to replace the lining.

But...

I have successfully cleaned grease off of 2 cylinder John Deere clutch disks.

Soak a clean rag or shop towel in clean fresh gasoline (most solvents like varsol, kerosene etc are too oily), and then squeeze it out so the rag was damp but not dripping wet.
Then wipe the lining until the rag looks dirty.
Repeat with a clean rag and clean gasoline.
Repeat until the rag no longer darkens much.
Then blow dry with compressed air.

You don't want to get the lining so wet with the gasoline that you wash the grease INTO the lining.
You want to pull the grease OUT of the lining.
For that reason I would be hesitant to use spray on brake clean.

DO THIS OUTSIDE of your shop for obvious reasons. 🙂

I've turned a grabbing, jumping clutch into one that engages as smooth as silk without the expense of new linings using this method.

Good luck!

Ole S Olson
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
From my experience if grease, oil or brake fluid get onto brake or clutch linings replace the linings. You can clean the surface but what has already soaked or been forced into the linings will keep being a problem.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.