Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I am confused about the type of tap and die to use on a 1928 Chevy. The person who owned this used a grinder to cut the nuts off the axles. I have thread damage. What are the thread size and any recommendations as to where I can purchase the correct tap and die for the axles? Thank you for your help.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Which nuts are you specifically referring to? Are you talking about the ones that are on the square u-bolts that hold the axle to the springs? They might be 9/16"-18 like the king pin bolts and nuts along with the tie rod end bolts, at least that's what they are on my 28 truck. I'd want to double check before I swear by it that the u-bolts are the same.

Last edited by David_S; 01/03/24 01:16 AM.
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
HI David,
I should have made my question clearer. I am talking about the front wheel spindle threads, and the rear wheel hub threads. All these threads are damaged from the previous owner taking a grinder to cut the frozen nuts off. I tried to measure the threads with a thread gauge and came up with a 3/4 -16 National Fine, but the die is too large. Is this a metric thread?

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Well, I have to eat humble pie on this one. I went to my local hardware store, and they have a good selection of taps and dies. I bought the wrong die.
National Standard Taper Pipe Threads Size NPT Chart

Engineers Edge
https://www.engineersedge.com › hardware › taper-pi...
The taper rate for all NPT threads is 1⁄16 (3⁄4 inch per foot) measured by the change of diameter (of the pipe thread) over distance.

All taps and dies are not created equally!!

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Well I guess I'll be the one to say it. Depending on how badly the hubs/axles are damaged, I would be inclined to replace them rather than running a die over questionable threads. Those threads are very hard and if you don't break your die first, you're trusting that repair with your life.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
The rear axle threads are actually pretty soft. If you cannot find the right die, contact some of the older tool suppliers possibly on the model t forum and ask for a thread file with a 16 thread per inch pitch. Usually they are square and have 4 different thread pitches on them. Some others are a little bigger and have 8. It will be fairly expensive to replace all the axles and spindles. Handy to have around.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Go on Ebay and search for outside thread chasher....you can get one used or new with multiple dies for $35 - $50. They come with 20 different thread sizes. (comes with five 4 sided cutters) It's like having 20 large thread dies.

Last edited by SSG26K; 01/05/24 08:34 AM.

Steve
'25 Superior "K", '79 Corvette , '72 Corvette LT-1 & 1965 Corvette Coupe
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Here is the OLD tool just for your problem. Contact me if you need it. bwbugay@aol.com

Attached Images
DSCN5779.JPG DSCN5780.JPG

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.