Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#488089 12/28/23 09:24 AM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
My ‘50 Fleetline Special4dr sedan has developed a problem with the shifting. When driving it the shifter doesn’t want to drop down through the neutral position into second and third easily. Instead I am likely to grind a bit of reverse. The same is true to bring the shift lever back up to first and reverse level. Is this more likely to be a problem in the shift box on the column or an internal problem? Or even a motor mount or transmission mount issue? The shift box has never been disassembled or lubed.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
It sounds to me as if yhe problen is with the swivel on top of the steering column,

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Gene’s recommendation is a good place to start. His experience will save you time.

One other simple step is to check the fluid level in the transmission. If the seal at the front of the drive shaft fails the transmission fluid will transfer to the rear axle over time. So your transmission will be low on fluid which causes shifting problems. And your rear axle is over full which could cause leakage at the axle seals.

The next step would be to get a helper to sit in the car and move the shifter while you watch the various connections and pivot points on the total linkage system. That will help you determine if the looseness is at the transmission arms, in the box on the column, or at the shifter itself.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
1 member likes this: Clement
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
I am guessing it is column shift, that system does not tolerate much wear in the linkages or fast shifting. Try shifting the lever in a square action (lifting the lever from 1st into neutral the letting it go through neutral then lift to 2nd). The Aus 3speed had the same problem, it can be adjusted out but it is trial and error.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I’ve been driving the car for a few years now. The best description I can give is that it is stiff or uncooperative going into neutral now. Previously it would just drop right in so smoothly. Gene, I will check the upper column lever first and proceed from there. Thanks, Mark

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
When I popped the top off my shift box, there was 1 squirt of red grease on top and some 70yr old sludge on the bottom. Cleaned and packed to the top with red grease. I didn't have any problems before, but it seems smoother after. I also had a problem at the shifter, but that was fixed with a NOS part.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Last edited by Dave_in_VA; 12/30/23 12:48 PM.
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
If the swivel that is inside of the support is not lubricated the steel swivel will pull the threads out of the pot metal support.This can happen on 1949-1954 stick shift cars.

Gene Schneider
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Originally Posted by Chev Nut
If the swivel that is inside of the support is not lubricated the steel swivel will pull the threads out of the pot metal support.This can happen on 1949-1954 stick shift cars.

Exactly what happened to mine...

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Try oiling the linkage swivel points.

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Update, I opened the shift box and found it packed with grease as thick as black strap molasses on a cold January day! Oh wait a minute, it is January! I believe that the grease was too thick and was not allowing the spring in the shift box to function properly. It was a cold day when I went for a ride, possibly the coldest I’ve had the car out in. Also the screws had worked loose on the upper support collar. I’ve not had an opportunity to go for a test ride yet, but just working the lever through the shift pattern seems to be doing as it is supposed to. Shift pivot is lubed , too.

1 member likes this: Clement
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Thanks for reporting on your success!

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Good news! After all the snow we had it was good to get the ol’ girl out and go for a spin. Shifting is as smooth as a baby’s bum! A beautiful day for a drive. Thanks guys for all your input.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.