Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
On September 23, 2023, Lurch made a repeat appearance at the prestigious Ironstone Winery Concours D'Elegance car show in Murphys CA. The first photo below shows Lurch in the lineup of the vintage commercial vehicle area. The second photo shows a group of 4H kids enjoying Lurch (he liked them too!).

A local TV reporter (R. Chris Stevenson) created a video about the show and I was interviewed towards the end of the video (see photo number 3). Lurch and I appear at around the 20 minute mark in the video. Here's a link to that video on YouTube: 2023 Ironstone Concours D'Elegance overview

While standing in line for lunch at the show, I met Robert Moncada, the President of a local foundation that supports the Calaveras County Fair and the annual Frog Jumping Jubilee (of Mark Twain fame). He told me about a 1924 Canopy Express that the foundation owned and used for parades, the county fair, and special events. Hmmmmmm. They have a new, insulated steel building where they park it, and they have a mechanic that specializes in antique vehicles to take care of it. Double hmmmmmmmm.

To make a long story short, I've been trying to find a new home for Lurch for the past few months and I just found it. bananabang

On Saturday, December 9th, 2023, I donated Lurch (and all his accessories - including the 8 foot plywood cows!) to the Friends of the Calaveras County Fair foundation. That day, my son Josh and I delivered him to the Calaveras Couny Fairgrounds, which will be his new home.

• Photo number four is the entrance sign to the fairgrounds.
  • Photo number five shows Lurch on the trailer with his new 'garage' in the background.
  • Photo number six shows me (on the left) with Robert Moncada going for a test drive. He thought Lurch had power steering because it was much easier to steer than their '24 Canopy Express. Lurch probably wanted to make a good first impression. ;-)
  • Photo number seven shows us in the building with Lurch's cattle cage and other accessories unloaded. The cows seem happy to not be hiding under a tarp in my driveway like they have been for the last 20+ years!

The other vehicles that the foundation owns are now Lurch's garage buds.

• Photo number eight is of a demolition derby car.
  • Photo number nine is the 1924 Canopy Express (It has a flat head engine (Model T F**d?) and the body is from an unknown manufacturer. The radiator shell has a Star emblem on it, so maybe someone merged two vehicles into one. Dunno (and they are not sure either).
  • Photo number ten shows their golf cart with an interesting hood ornament. Lurch fits right in!

The foundation has already scheduled Lurch to be at a special event in a couple of weeks. ;-)

So, a new chapter in Lurch's life has begun and I'll be following his adventures from afar. I'll definitely go to the next Calaveras County Fair to see him in his new environment. The dates are May 16-19, 2024. For more information, go to frogtown.org

I think he'll be a great addition to the Calaveras County community and everyone there seems to be very excited to have him there.

With happiness and little sadness as a lifetime milestone goes by, Dean

Attached Images
1-IMG_9205.JPG 2-4H-KidsAtIronstone-Lurch.jpg 3-rustoholic-n-lurch-interview.jpg 4-IMG_9270.JPG 5-IMG_9262.JPG 6-Untitled.jpg 7-Untitled.jpg 8-Untitled.jpg 9-Untitled.jpg 10-IMG_9265.JPG

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

1 member likes this: jtroberts64
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

Lou Offline
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
. Hi Dean, .. Great story and interview. Sounds like you found Lurch a good home.
I think the 24 Canopy in the garage is a Durant Star. It's not a Ford as there is no reverse pedal and it appears to have 4 semi elliptic springs rather than transverse buggy springs.. The fenders appear quite similar to 24 Chevy fenders. See a photo of 24 Star touring. The little flat four engine in second photo, is supposed to have 35 HP. Ford and Chevy only have 20 and 22 respectively. .
. Thanks, . Lou

Attached Images
24 Star 01 .jpeg 24 Star 06 .jpeg
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
How cool is that! So glad you found him a great home.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
This is a great transition for Lurch. I know that they appreciate your benevolence.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
An absolutely perfect place to send your truck, campy cows and everything. They can decide what to do with it.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
That is so awesome, Dean. What a wonderful thing to do. I am sure they are going to be great caretakers of Lurch. Happy for everyone involved.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Dean,
That 1924 Star is sort of a distant step cousin to Lurch.
Star was one of Billy Durants later attempts at success in the automobile business after his final ouster from GM.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.