Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Had my rear axle rebuilt...Now I am trying to mount the springs on the axle. When doing this I found that the springs do not line up with the frame mounts....Are there any markings on the saddles to indicate which way they should be installed ?

tom cirjak
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
The saddles are called "Rear spring seat and cap" in the master parts catalog. The right and left have different part. numbers so I would say you have something in the wrong place.
I have a '37 1/2 ton that I can look at, for you. I can take some pictures, if needed.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Lou Offline
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
The half and 3/4 ton have the rear springs under the frame and axle on top of the springs. The One and ton&half have the rear springs along side the frame with axle underneath. The first picture is a Delux passenger car rear spring but similar mounting to half ton. The next photos are Ton & half rear spring options. The progressive are best.
. There is a front and rear to the springs so the centering pin is in the correct location. They are all pinned at the front and a swing shackle at the rear. (The front spring on commercial and utility has the swing shackle on front. The standard passenger has the front axle swing shackle on the rear.) .
. Lou .

Attached Images
Rear Dlx spring .jpg 0058 Spring .jpg 0059 springs .jpg

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.