Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#487096 11/18/23 07:06 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have a 29 2dr coach parts car along with my restored car. The parts car has complete sheet metal and frame. Also has driveshaft and rear differential with wheels. The front axle, steering linkage and wheels are also intact. The engine has had the head removed and has been open for many years. I have a family member who is trying to buy the car. He has offered me $1000 for the car. Is this a reasonable offer? Opinions please..

Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Here is my opinion. Unless you are personally attached to the parts car or have grand plans for it, take the $1000 and move on to your next project.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
It sounds very fair for you but sounds high to me.

Dave

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
If you start adding up the values of the various parts $1,000 is a great deal. The 4 fenders alone are worth $600 to $800 + if they are in good condition. Differential, $100 to $250, doors $100 to $200 each, quarters $200 each. That is just some of the bigger items. Many other parts are worth money too. Handles, gauges, floor pans, windshield riser, even the body brackets, are all of value to someone who is missing theirs. It would take awhile to sell all of this off individually so - it is gone in one fell swoop for a good price.

Sounds fairly complete, if it is in pretty good shape it would be a good candidate for restoration. $1,000 for a car like that would be a good start.

1 member likes this: Clement
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I would think that is a good price for all involved. The individual parts are probable worth more but you would have to take the time and effort to sell them. Someone restoring a car is saved the time and effort of having to search for all of the parts. If I had to start again with the 41 project I would have jumped on a parts car for $1000.

You can also look at it this way. You have an empty parking space and $1000 to get something to fill that with :)

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Negotiate. Tell him that you may need something off it in the future and so you'd better keep it. Also, let him know that you and everyone living around you think it is rather cute and, accordingly, causes the value of the land to appreciate over time. And, as a kicker, that you have grown rather fond of it over the years and just couldn't bear to let it go. (Immediatel pull out some tissue and try to shed a tear or two. Agrin)

Then pause for a bit and then tell him that because he is such a swell guy that you would consider two grand for it. Settle for a grand and a half by meeting him half way. (more sadness and tears. He'll jump on the offer.

Send me half of the increase in price ($250) as a goodwill gesture for coming up with this sound advice.

Be sure to write the sale up and get a witness that the car is sold as is, where is and must be moved by a reasonable agreed upon deadline or you're going to get it moved to his front yard and at his expense.

Tell him that there are few things in this life more satisfying than helping a family member. dance

You're welcome,

Charlie computer

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.