Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#486968 11/14/23 04:56 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I had a 1940 radio restored. Model 985536 (Motorized dial control) The clutch to tune in the stations is a real issue. Ray Holland had a fix but he no longer is active. The shop that restored it just sent it back and it worked for one day. I'm thinking of getting the model below it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (The motorized portion works great!)

Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Shade Tree Mechanic
Online Content
Shade Tree Mechanic
I fixed one of those 1940 models with the solenoid tuner a long time ago. I can't recall the specifics but I do remember it was a challenge to get the clutch and movement reliable. Everything has to be free, no binding, and good voltage/current to the radio. I may have also changed the friction material in the clutch but like I say, I don't recall. I do remember the inductive kick of that tuner would trip my normal 6V bench power supply so I had to use my heavy duty supply. If the motorized part is working good but you are having difficulty with manual tuning, then the clutch may need adjustment or the friction material may be too hard with time.

Best Wishes

Last edited by coachman28; 11/16/23 12:20 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.