Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#486441 10/23/23 06:15 PM
smlogan Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I recently bought a 1931 2 door coupe that was not running (seized motor). I replaced the motor with another motor not seized and was attempting to rebuild the carb, I have no idea what was done to the car previously. When I try and install the standpipe now it will not go down far enough to allow the bowl nut to go on. The standpipe seems to bottom out but not sure where its bottoming on. Anyone have any thoughts, Totally original car no mods yet

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Your description is confusing to me. Is the carburetor a Carter RJH-08? That is the original factory installed carburetor.

The standpipe is a die-cast part screwed into the center of the inside of the Carter carburetor body. The choke slides up and down on it. It is necessary to remove the venturi to install the standpipe.

The multijet (Carter name) is the main jet screwed into the bottom of the "well" that also has the brass bowl nut screwed into. If the bowl nut will not fit or screw in far enough the threads may need to be cleaned.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
smlogan Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
do you know what the thread is inside the bowl. and yes it is the multijet. The carb Diagram I was going off for the RJH-08 I was going off refered to it as a standpipe. I want to run a tap into the threads to clean them out, either the multijet is wrong for this carb or something is terribly wrong.

Last edited by smlogan; 10/24/23 07:18 AM. Reason: qualification of problem
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Sorry for the delay in posting a reply. The threads for the tap to clean the "well" where the multijet and bowl nut are 1/2"-24. It is not a common tap but they are available if you search a bit. An alternative is to get a couple of dental tools (they wear out and are discarded) and carefully scrape the threads to remove buildup.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.