Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#485337 09/12/23 12:54 PM
Bama31 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I noticed that the rear floor pan on my sedan seems to have some coating in addition to paint on the upper (interior) side. Seems like a somewhat thick layer of petroleum-based product. Does anyone know what it is? Would it be a good idea to add a coating of some kind for sound proofing? I have everything stripped and ready to coat.
Thanks again.

---------------------------------------------------------
Thanks much,
Ralph
"Roll Tide"
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Hello Bama31,
I'm guessing that a petroleum product may have been used for a number of reasons. Moisture proofing corrosion control, seam sealing, sound deadening, maybe? If you want to add-to and clean-up the area that your working, you might re-coat with automotive undercoating/bed liner/sealer type products. Something that the smell goes away when dry. Or maybe, the peel and stick sound proofing products made for automobiles. Some have reflective foil some don't. It's pretty much up to what you're looking to accomplish.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.