Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Bama31 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I hope someone can help me on a configuration question on the '31 engine. I understand that there is no seal on the front end of the crankshaft. Between the timing gear on the shaft and the timing gear cover, there is a cupped washer (the best I can describe it). Question is which way does the washer face? I can't remember when I took it off, and for some reason I didn't get a photo. Should the cupped side be toward the timing gear, and the harmonic balancer seats up against it? Or visa versa? What keeps oil from leaking around the crankshaft opening in the the timing gear cover? Any help would be appreciated.

---------------------------------------------------------
Thanks much,
Ralph
"Roll Tide"
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Hello Bama31,
I believe that the oil slinger outer cupping faces forward and toward the timing cover. This allows the slinger to lay flat against the crankshaft gear.

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
The cupped washer faces away from the gear as noted above. on the inside of the timing cover there should be small ring that spins freely !! the washer sits up against this when all put together. since there is oil coming in through the dripper (drips oil on the gears) then drains back in to the oil pan.

Attached Images
20170321_193451.jpg 20170321_193439.jpg

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
Bama31 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thank you for the replies. My timing chain cover is not the same as the one in your picture BearsFan315. It does not have the circular depression where the camshaft gear is at. Instead, it has a depression that looks more like a three legged arc (hard to describe). It does not have a small ring that spins freely. It does have a ring, or lip, that is pressed/crimped into the hole opening on the inside of the cover. I assume this is another effort to prevent oil from leaking past the opening.

---------------------------------------------------------
Thanks much,
Ralph
"Roll Tide"
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Originally Posted by Bama31
Thank you for the replies. My timing chain cover is not the same as the one in your picture BearsFan315. It does not have the circular depression where the camshaft gear is at. Instead, it has a depression that looks more like a three legged arc (hard to describe). It does not have a small ring that spins freely. It does have a ring, or lip, that is pressed/crimped into the hole opening on the inside of the cover. I assume this is another effort to prevent oil from leaking past the opening.

they may differ I have a 1st Generation 1929, there were many changes between 1929-1932 on these engines, considering 1929 was the first year of hte straight 6 :) changes were made mid year!!

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.