Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#482732 06/16/23 09:51 AM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello all just looking for some help. I just purchased a 1941 chevy special deluxe I want to do some upgrades and not sure what to do first or what to use .
(1) motor swap to a v8
(2) breaks and suspension

Any help would be greatly appreciated to a new guy to this world thanks

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Hi Vancouver

Truth is... most of us here love our vehicles just the way they came from the factory, and love the road feel that goes along with that.
It's your car, and please don't take offense, but I personally don't consider the two things you mention to be "upgrades". 🙂
When I want to drive a car that feels like a modern car, I drive our new car.
When I want a different kind of fun, I drive the '46.

Just my opinion.

PS
And by the way, welcome to VCCA Chat!

Last edited by Stovblt; 06/16/23 01:07 PM.

Ole S Olson
1 member likes this: Ed_Osier
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks for the info truth is I love the way it looks and want to keep it that way but don't enjoy all the leg Work well out for a drive and I am mostly concerned about the brakes

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I caution you to not believe all the advise you receive from "experts" who's opinions are not necessarily based in fact!

The original 1941 brakes in good condition will stop as well as any modifications except for riding the pedal going down very long grades or a multitude of stops in a short time that over heat the drums. When properly adjusted with the proper linings you can slide all four wheels.

I have even done that with a stock 1928 truck. Left 4 black streaks on the pavement. Luckily the white Ford Truck that turned in front of me and then stopped was not damaged.

1931 mechanical brakes have to stop within the required distance and with the proper pedal pressure in Switzerland where all cars have to pass the test to be driven on the roads. That test requires several stops from various speeds.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
The standard brakes will be just fine as long as the master cylinder, brake lines. hoses, wheel cylinders, drums and shoes are in good order. The only problem I've found in owning and driving 41 for many years has been the tendency for wheel cylinders sticking. I drove a 41 Cabriolet from Illinois with no problems. Only two of the eight wheel cylinder pistols were functioning. I used gear down shifting and parking brake to slow down and/or stop. A little adventure there. Agrin

Anyway I totally agree with Stove Bolt and Chipper's comments. dance

I don't know what body style you have but a SD 5-passenger coupe is one of the best looking Chevrolet ever made. yay

For the most fun keep it stock. That's just my opinion,

Good luck with it.

Best,

Charlie computer

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Here is my rule with any upgrade regardless of the vehicle be it a car, dirt bike etc. You cannot safely increase horsepower without equivalently addressing the suspension and braking systems. Manufacturers build the car to work as a system. The 41's brakes work well for the 90 HP engine it has. The suspension is designed to handle the weight of the engine in the car. The cornering will be fine at the speeds the car is designed to go. Add a 350 SBC you will need brakes to stop that amount of HP, springs to support the added weight, shocks / springs to handle the speed in the corner, tires to grip, a new tranny / drive line to handle the power. The question is not to do the motor or brakes / suspension first, it is how do I get to my goal safely. Once you do one part it will not work well with what the car has, it has to be viewed as a system of parts that complement each other.

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
1 member likes this: Clement
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Normally when stopping, leaving the engine in gear, drive, second or low, helps slow the car down. When it gets to the point that the engine has done its part then disengage it via clutch and press the brake peddle. Just a simplistic answer to the role of horsepower and brakes. Of course one has to be aware to let the engine do its part before use of brakes. Emergency stopping may necessitate slamming on the brakes and then immediately tending to the clutch, etc.

Best,

Charlie computer

1 member likes this: Clement

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.