Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
PaulS Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I have a 1928 chevy capitol 1 ton truck the cab is made of wood, with the running boards, engine hood and radiator made of steel from the factory the bed and bed frame is wood supported with the steel frame and rear end

Is the defininition of a woodie just in the car department or can I hang my hat on the fact that i have a woodie truck

no matter what , it is one sweet truck

or is it spelled woody?

Paul

Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
the first truly woodies that chevrolet produced and sold were 1939 models, based on 39 passenger cars. . all chevy cars and trucks produced in the 20's and into the 30's had wood framing in their bodies, including trucks. so to answer your question, your 28 1 ton truck isn't a true woordy. but i have no problem with u referring to it as a woody. regards mike mccagh

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Chevrolet arranged with commercial body companies like Hercules, Campbell, Martin-Parry, etc. to put their bodies on Chevrolet truck chassis in the 1920s and 1930s. The companies listed provided "Suburban" (Station Wagon, Depot Hack, etc.) bodies on 1/2 ton chassis. I have Chevrolet literature to support it. Those companies as well as others provided numerous other bodies on 1/2 ton as well as larger trucks. I know that Chevrolet began to provide literature to their dealers in mid-20s (maybe earlier?) on the products of the commercial body companies would put on chassis provided by Chevrolet. My understanding is the dealer showed the customer what was available, arranged for a chassis to be supplied and received the completed vehicle to deliver to their customer. I am sure that a customer could also take delivery of a truck chassis and arrange to have a body installed on it.

The 1939 and later "Woodies" had bodies built and installed by contract body companies under contract to Chevrolet.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
A member in Poulsbo WA has a 1 ton "Woodie" depot hack with at least 4, maybe 5 rows of seats. When they hosted the Pacific NW Wood Tour in about 2010 they brought a group of about 20 Finnish dancers to the property to perform in it. It was very cool seeing all those dressed up dancers get out of that truck and do their performance. Someplace I have a picture of them climbing out.

Art

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Like Chipper said above, you could buy a Chevy utility truck (chassis) and then have a cab or body put on it by a number of other manufacturers.

You could also take your chassis to a cabinet builder or build your own cab/body.

Below are a couple of pages from the 1928 Chevrolet Truck Catalog that depict the utility chassis and its specs.

Cheers, Dean

Attached Images
1928ChevTruckCatalog-07.jpg 1928ChevTruckCatalog-16.jpg

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.