Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ChetC Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I've done a lot of the mechancil work on a car but have never rebuilt a fuel pump. I have the 49-53 shop manual and it gives instructions but no pictures. Is there something I can down load that goes into more detail. Also does the hinge pin have to be removed. I've seen some rebuilt pumps where pin was removed. The manual states you can use a screwdriver to raise the link and remove diaphragm. I would like to leave that pin undisturbed if possible.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Go to https://vintagechevyheritage.org/manuals and look at the AC Fuel Pump Repair Manual - 1946
Which pump do you have?

ChetC Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I guess it's for 51 cars. The number 1523089 is on the side and AC.

ChetC Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have not been able to down load that manual yet but can someone that has worked on these pumps tell me if the hinge pin can stay in place when installing a new kit in pump.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Sorry about the link - it is now fixed. https://vintagechevyheritage.org/manuals

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
In the past I have left the pin in when it and the lever are in good shape. AC use to sell a complete rebuild kit with levers and pins, and everything else. They also sold just a diaphragm kit with no pin or lever. You just have to be able to hook the pull rod on to the lever.

Lots of the kits come with new pins now held in with small circle clips so you don't have to stake it.

Dave

I should add AC recommended a new pump first, a thoroughly rebuilt pump, and then the diaphragm only in an emergency. Of course they were selling new and reman pumps!

Last edited by Dave39MD; 01/16/22 11:20 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.