Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#464556 12/14/21 11:10 AM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Has anyone heard anymore about the tornado that hit the Corvette plant? The news focuses on Mayfield but I heard a blurb that there was significant damage in parts of BG. Wonder how the host hotels fared?
Corvair Ed VCCA# 47508 Dade City,Fla

Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Based on the news casts and posts that I have seen the town was hit pretty hard overall. There are at least 15 dead. I did see one statement that the Corvette plant would be shut down for production this week.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
the plant sustained fire damage to a roof. the museum was nearly sp[ared with little damage. the motorsports park took the greatest hit. debris from its buildings landed on new c-8's awaiting NCM delivery. mike mccagh

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
The area where the host hotels are as well as adjacent parking area was spared. There were two tornados. The worst damage was on the west side of the city just south of the university to I-165 (formally Natcher Pkwy). The largest number of deaths occurred in this area also. This was from an F3 tornado. The other tornado, a F2 on a different track, hit the northeast side of the city. This was the Corvette factory, museum and the track. The factory had already scheduled shutdowns due to part supply issues but the damage is significant. As described by Mike, the track sustained the most damage. Based on the use of the track and the timing of our national meet, it should be repaired by that time. A friend of our family had their house completely destroyed. Nothing but the foundation left. One of their cars was in the living room of a house across the street. Homes and small businesses took the biggest hit.

The area has come together to clean up and rebuild. With the higher cost and availability of building materials it could take a while to complete repairs. I haven't heard of any other events such as the Hot Rod Reunion, Tri-Five Nationals, etc. announce any cancellations as of this time. The city schools are closed until January. The county schools restart next week. Everyone is pitching to help. The city will be back on its feet before long. Our region and the national committee have meetings in the near future. I'm sure there will be an official announcement soon.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.