Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#459500 07/14/21 12:04 AM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Any members find an outlet for tan/sand coloured mohair for 1931?

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
tan/sand colored mohair is no longer produced to my understanding... contact your local upholstery shop for the nearest match in synthetics. I found an exact match in texture and feel. My local upholster made exact match seat covers for my 1936. I am sure that one day it may be reproduced but for now as far as I know it is not. Good luck with your restoration.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Terrill how does the synthetic hold up? Is it like a microfiber? Is it stain resistant? How is the price compared to mohair? I know mohair is expensive. I was thinking of going synthetic anyway because of the expense. My 35 Standard Coach isn't worth the price of mohair.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Let's put it this way. He said that it will be there after we are gone and well into our children's lives. Mine is a very close match. You may speak with your upholster about stain resistant. Mine was not cheap; somewhere near $85 per yard. It was put on by a retired professional man who owned a large business at one time and did this at 83 years old to give him income in his old age. He put off doing several furniture pieces to do this job. He said that the original people who made this hand stitched original seat cover must have had all the time in the world to do them. He followed the original "hand stitched" parts on the new seats, too. Totally approx. $900.00 back seat and $190.00 per each bucket seat (I do not have bench seat in the front of my '36 Standard Town Sedan.) includes material.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
So it cost you less that $1500 to get your seats recovered? Material and labor? That is great. Was this guy local to you or did you ship the seats? I have the same situation on my 35, 2 front buckets and a bench rear seat. Did he do door panels and headliner? My seats have original mohair and are in OK shape for their age. Some little holes and splits. I sewed them up as best I could and sewed a couple of seams but the material is old and a bit brittle. I have no door cards or headliner. The Upholsterers up here are either 2+ years out or they can do it in a few weeks "No problem", ha ha ha.

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Has there been a interior upholstery source to replace Hampton Coach/LebaronBonney? I did my 39 Coupe several years ago with their prefabed interior.. I have an acquaintance with a 39 Chev two door project that was left to her by her recently deceased husband. She is looking to finish it off which includes the interior.......so appreciate any suggestions on sources for getting that done. We are located in WA state 30 miles west of Seattle.

Ronald K. Vandervort
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Has there been a interior upholstery source to replace Hampton Coach/LebaronBonney? I did my 39 Coupe several years ago with their prefabed interior.. I have an acquaintance with a 39 Chev two door project that was left to her by her recently deceased husband. She is looking to finish it off which includes the interior.......so appreciate any suggestions on sources for getting that done. We are located in WA state 30 miles west of Seattle.

Ronald K. Vandervort
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Hi Ronald,

Unfortunately based upon what I have been reading across multiple forums no direct replacement for Hampton/LeBaron has emerged. SMS Fabrics is trying to fill some of that void but are having difficulties delivering in a timely manner.

There were some indications that Eckler’s bought at least some of the assets of the bankrupt Hampton/LeBaron business. So far I have not seen or heard that any of that material is back on the market. My best guess is that was not near as much there as some people expected. I know that in the last year or so of operation they were not offering near as much material and products as they had in the past.

The core issue is economics of supply and demand. The minimum run quantities for reproduction fabrics is high as is the cost. So the supplier is taking a real gamble when they purchase them.

The next issue is finding skilled people who can make seat covers, headliners, and door panels.

Rusty

VCCA #44680

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.