Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#456691 04/19/21 10:37 AM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
1941 Master Deluxe. I am not restoring this to show quality, this is a get ice cream with kids, cruse around and have fun car. The car has an interior light in the middle of the roof but no lens and just a bit of wire, not enough to tell where it connects. There are no switches on the door to activate it. Was this an optional accessory? How was it turned on and off? Did it come on when the doors opened?

I have to put in a new headliner anyways and I am leaning towards not putting this in if I have to cut the headliner and if it only works with a manual switch. I would never use it manually. It took 3 seasons for me to remember to fix the interior light on my 87 Monty Carlo and that was just a bulb. The few occasions when I drive it at night I park in well lit areas.

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
The interior dome light usually is supplied with 6 volts at all times. The switch on the dome light housing, the door or other interior courtesy switches are used to provide the ground path when they are activated. If you no longer want the dome light, I would disconnect the 6 volt supply to it which probably comes from the back of the headlight switch downstream of the fuse.

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I agree that the dome light wring is similar to the horn wiring. The wire is hot all the time. The light housing is grounded so the switch just sends power to the light. I agree it would be best to disconnect that wire at the headlight switch if you do not plan to use it.

Hopefully Gene will jump in on this. I thought that one of the "extras" with a Master Deluxe was an interior light switch in the right door pillar. On Master cars the manual switch was part of the dome lamp assembly.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
That makes sense then. The car has the original wiring. The wires to the rear are only partially there. In the process of replacing them all. I might leave it out knowing it is manual only.

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
A note on nomenclature: The Master deluxe 1941 Chevrolet was the second line. The top line with the extras
was the Superior.

The above line should read Special Deluxe

devil Agrin

Last edited by AntiqueMechanic; 04/20/21 01:44 PM.

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Ray
I certainly can't claim to be an expert in the field but...
respectfully, wasn't the top line the "Special" Deluxe?

Ole S Olson
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
They have me signed up for spelling school. YES, it should read Special Deluxe. Thanks for the catch on the error.

devil Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.