Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#454415 02/17/21 11:50 AM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I have an 1947 radio I plan to fix and install in my 1941 Master Deluxe. Being that this is am I would like to also play my phone through the same speaker. Sound quality is not the goal, just to have sound. I was thinking of two possibilities, has anyone done either and are there any potential issues with these?

1. Run a 3.5mm headphone plug and solder it onto the existing speaker terminals in the radio. Idea being that if the car's radio is off this other plug would connect to the existing speaker and play in Mono. Wire could be tucked under the dash and plugged into a phone etc. when I wanted to use it.

2.. I saw a dual channel speaker for sale for restorations that had a right and left in the same frame as the current speaker. Replace the current speaker with the dual channel one. Hook the original speaker to the right terminals and the 3.5mm plug to the right and left. Thus the original would have mono and the aux would have stereo.

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I'm no radio guy, Ray or someone else will weigh in here before too long. I think you will need the radio amplifier to push the sound out of the car's speaker. My radio guy installed a plug in the radio for my '36 and it works great. Radio must be turned on and radio sound is replaced by my external source when it is plugged in.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
There is a mod that has been made to these old radios to do that. The circuit is interrupted where it feeds into the output amplifier. The receptacle interrupts the circuit and inserts the signal from the source. Left and right channels are added together through resistors.

There used to be a gizmo that would plug into antenna . It would take the input audio and modulate a frequency with it that theocratic could pick up.

My 1951 1 Ton is now on the road! My 38 Master 4 Door is also now on the road .
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I found the gizmo I was talking about. It is called Redirad. You want the six volt model for AM radios.

My 1951 1 Ton is now on the road! My 38 Master 4 Door is also now on the road .
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by old216
I found the gizmo I was talking about. It is called Redirad. You want the six volt model for AM radios.

That is exactly what I was looking for. I have used ones for FM 12 volt before just did not know there was a 6 volt AM version. Next step is to get the radio working. I am trying to get all the parts together and working before installing them in the car.

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.