Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
i have 3 sets of u-joint ball gaskets which one is the best to use . one has of course all the blue gaskets or shims and it has 2 of the round ones in cork, the other has all the blue gaskets but the round ones are some kind of rubber looking composite , the third one came in a small packet no blue gaskets just the 2 round ones, one is cork but the other is just a rubber o-ring this one i think was open when i bought it so i think someone slipped the o-ring to make it look good on ebay i am going with number 2 but wanted another opinion ps forgot to add on the rear where the smaller gasket goes do you use i or 2 of the metal shims to compress the gasket

Last edited by stefakicoupe; 02/15/21 05:17 PM.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I agree on the #2 set up and a washer on each side of the rear seal.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I agree that you need to use the steel rings on either side of the tube seal. Those are necessary to compress the tube seal without damaging it.

I would not be surprised if you have to sand the cork ball seal so it fits correctly inside the bell that goes over the ball. The last one I installed was too thick.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
You have three points of concern.

1. As suggested/advised above, the washers will help the seal increase in diameter/circumference to seal the tube. I have realized good results by using a suitable "O" ring instead of cork here.

2. The cork seal must fit against a smooth surface and must be adjusted by the number of gaskets it takes to move the bell up and down using the method suggested in the manual. Firm but not tight. You do this by trial (again with up and down) hand pressure against the tube of the bell.

3. Mostly already covered in "2" above but is used to seal the flange so that oil doesn't leal where the flange surface meets the rear of the transmission housing. Don't crush the cork.

Good luck with it.

Best,

Charlie computer

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.