Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#453786 01/29/21 07:23 PM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Does anyone make a dummy proof set of pan end gaskets with tabs? Like the modern cars have. Mine must have slipped. Pic overnight leak after a 20 mile ride. Valdez

Attached Images
IMG_1137.JPG
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
One trick most use is to wet the gasket and tie it around a tomato can and let it dry overnight. Then I always put a dab of Permatex #2 in the corners.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Valdez another method would be to take some bolts with matching thread and cut the heads off to make studs. About 6 should work nicely. Install the studs spacing them evenly over the block. Put the gasket and then the pan in place. The thread on the studs should hold the gasket from sliding (assuming that is a problem because you are installing the gasket with the engine upright) and will hold the gasket in place why you install the pan and a few bolts. Then remove the studs of course and replace the rest of the bolts to complete the installation.
......Joe......

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hello Valdez, If it is the end gaskets of the sump you are having issues with, there is a solution to make your own that can be placed on the block with gasket cement before installing the sump. The method is described in Antique Mechanics "Schools in Session" on page 135.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I have used upholstery tacks stuck into the end cork gasket with head against the oil pan to hold the gasket in place until it gets clamped when the screws are tightened.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.