Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#452984 01/14/21 10:33 PM
kents57 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
My transmission is leaking badly from the rear. Oil is seeping from the connection of the the trans and the u-joint cover and also coming from the area where the torque tube is slid into the u-joint cover. Any ideas and advice on where to start appreciated. I've built streetrods but this is my first original car.

Kent
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
The transmission/ little gearbox only has slingers and no seals, if it is overfilled or parked uphill, fluid will leak out. My slinger cover was cracked when I first bought the car and leaked from theree also.

kents57 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks - not overfilled and parked on my level garage floor. Is the slinger cover the bell shaped item that the torque tube slides into?

Kent
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
My best guess is that the cork seal at the small end of the bell has deteriorated to the point that it no longer seals.

The best way to fix this is to remove the external bell from the back of the transmission so you can see the u-joint. The separate the u-joint so you can slide the it to the rear.

The shop manual has all the details. The tricky part is getting the right number of shims so the ball moves freely on the bell but does not leak. Plus the ball needs to be very clean and smooth.

There are You-Tubes about replacing that seal.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
They sell gasket and shim kits for the bell shaped item and the the torque tube.Chck Chey's of the Forties.

kents57 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks for the information. I've got the 1933 Repair Manual but honestly I don't see any detail about the rear ball. I've searched utube but can't find any videos about that subject. If you have a link I'd appreciate it. Thanks again for suggestions.

Kent
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
The Filling Station has a good article and they will have the parts also. http://www.fillingstation.com/universalball/

Steve D
kents57 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Been doing more research, Although I had ordered from The Filling Station I didn't notice that their website has a wealth of technical articles - many of which cover the leaking transmission problem I have, After reading several I think I have a good idea of what's involved in rebuilding the u-joint area of the trans and also the torque tube bearing if needed. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Kent

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.