Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
VCCA Member Services
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
VCCA Member Services
Backyard Mechanic
Here is a project that looks like something I'd enjoying fixing up.

https://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/d/safford-1956-chevrolet-bel-air/7248373194.html

I've always wanted a 4door hardtop. Its in a very RURAL area of AZ... about 2 hr drive. Before I make the haul out there I want to be prepared. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Biggest question: What engine and transmission did it have? Can you tell by the bellhousing or data plate?

What do you think guys? :)

Attached Images
00b0b_cyEXlbEeHSK_0CI0iP_1200x900.jpg 00I0I_5hkSodzKXAT_0CI0iP_1200x900.jpg

VCCA Member Services Manager
http://vcca.org
memberservices@vcca.org
708-455-8222
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Peter based on the hood "V" and the fact that the transmission is still in the car, a 265 cu. in. V-8 and Powerglide transmssion. Also only a single brake pedal and no clutch pedal. The photo of the engine compartment shows a cut radiator support crossbar. The original V-8 radiator mounted behind the crossbar and 6 cylinder in front of the bar. The radiator position suggests a replacement engine was installed. Overall the car looks to be very restorable.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
VCCA Member Services
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
VCCA Member Services
Backyard Mechanic
Great observations. Thanks!

The keep on truck'n gas pedal isnt a rare factory accessory, is it? (j/k)

Some owner comments:
"no rust on this car. The rear fenders had the lip removed at some point to put bigger wheels and tires. The car is a factory powerglide tranny. The engine would have been a small block 265. Floors and trunk are immaculate."

NADA and HAGERTY values it at $8500 but thats a driver. $6500 isnt unreasonable, but considering overall condition, lack of an engine, needing a windshield, and remote location (2 hrs from Tucson, 3 from Phoenix, and 5 Albq. I dont think he's gonna get a lot of nibbles). (Could be wrong) I hope the guy has some wiggle room.

"#4 vehicles are daily drivers, with flaws visible to the naked eye. The chrome might have pitting or scratches, the windshield might be chipped. Paintwork is imperfect, and perhaps the body has a minor dent. Split seams or a cracked dash, where applicable, might be present. No major parts are missing, but the wheels could differ from the originals, or other non-stock additions might be present. A #4 vehicle can also be a deteriorated restoration. "Fair" is the one word that describes a #4 vehicle."

Last edited by Peter_Gariepy; 12/18/20 06:09 PM.

memberservices@vcca.org
708-455-8222
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
As I look at the body photo it sure seems to show rust, especially along the bottom of the door. The other reddish brown areas would seem to indicate surface rust, at least. Be sure to closely inspect the floor boards and trunk area too. Check the spare tire well in the trunk too. Body work is expensive and labor intensive. Replacement parts are available. My 2 cents, based on having owned one of these until about 6 years ago, is effort and cost to restore this one may turn out to be an upside down investment. I haven’t tracked prices on these models in a while, but my guess is the asking figure, given the condition, is way more than I’d consider. Good luck!

VCCA Member Services
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
VCCA Member Services
Backyard Mechanic
I agree with your assessment.

Im not overly concerned about being upside down. 90% of the auto restorations are after all - IMHO.

More a labor or love. I'll enjoy owning the make/year/model/bodystyle and the process of getting it back on the road.

Last edited by Peter_Gariepy; 12/19/20 03:07 PM.

memberservices@vcca.org
708-455-8222
VCCA Member Services
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
VCCA Member Services
Backyard Mechanic
Saw the car Sunday.

Rusty, very, very rusty.

I passed.

memberservices@vcca.org
708-455-8222
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Hi Peter!

Thanks for reaching out to us and sharing your plans and results.

I agree that the car you select is a personal choice. It is a combination and compromise of what car appeals to you, your level of work interest, and of course, money.

My experience is similar to what you have encountered. Most vehicles are over represented. Maybe I am too old school but I cannot imagine buying a car without seeing it or having it checked by a trusted person.

Finding the right car is somewhat like the old fairy tales. The princess will kiss a lot of frogs before she finds her prince!

Happy holidays!

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Peter if it is your money buying and restoring this car you do what you wish but I agree other comments it is a lot of work/money for little or no return. If you are planning it as a VCCA project I think there are better (less expensive) projects about though they are getting scarce.
If I read the plate correct the 56 is my preference of the tri 5 models though.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.