Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
mark50 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I hope someone here can help me out because I'm confused! When I bought my 1950 Fleetline my dome light had been changed to be activated by a switch mounted under the dash. I'm in the process of changing my car over to 12 volts and want to wire my dome light up to the original switch on the bezel and the spring loaded door activated switches. My problem is that my original switch is painted over and not useable. And because it wasn't wired correctly when I bought it I have no idea how it should be done. There are a bunch of switches offered by Chevs of the 40's, some one terminal, some two terminals. I've checked out the wiring diagram in the shop manual but it's also a little confusing to an electrical novice like myself! Fo what it's worth it looks like the original switch has a ground wire as well as a wire that goes to the bulb. Does it matter what side of the bulb? And it looks like that same bulb terminal feeds the door switches? Ok enough from me, please help! Thanks in advance.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
There is one wire going to the bulb that is hot all the time.There is a wire from the dome light switch to the bulb and a wire from each door switch.These are all grounds.The bulb has two contacts on the back.On is for ground and one for power.The power is hot and when grounded by a switch the lights go on.Power can be fed to bulb thru either terminal.

Gene Schneider
mark50 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks Chev Nut, that helps a lot.

mark50 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Wait, so I still need the switch with 2 terminals right? One to connect to the bulb and one for a ground?

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The hot wire goes directly to the bulb.When a switch is "turned on" it completes the ground circuit only.The door switch is grounded to the body and the dome light switch is also.(no juice at a switch)

Gene Schneider

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.