Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
NZ_Rich Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi Guys,
New member so be gentle, Purchased a 1939 Chev master deluxe in the last couple of months, originally from Canada, Oshawa, Wackerville, Regina.
According to the body plate, serial number XHJA 80061, engine No AF303119, casting No 839400.
Does anyone know what the XH etc stands for and what engine is fitted to my car.I know the JA is a 39 but having read most of the posts on engine numbers etc I cannot find any reference to XH or an engine No beginning with AF.
it would be nice to piece it all together, by the way the car now resides in the south island of New Zealand.
Cheers.

Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

Backyard Mechanic
Online Content
Backyard Mechanic
Welcome to the vccachat site.
The X in the serial number identifies it as export model. GM of Canada produced many kits for export to other countries in this era and those leaving North America had serial numbers starting with X.
The second digit identifies the destination country/region or distributor. I expect that H means it was sold to Holden for assembly, but I don't know for sure.

The engine is newer than 1939. I believe Chevy started using letter prefixes in 1941 and by the block casting number this is a 1941 or newer engine.

NZ_Rich Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Cheers Headlighter,

That great info and thanks for the welcome to the VCCA chat site.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.