Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#441211 04/14/20 03:16 PM
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
I'm cleaning up the vacuum top tube/canisters or the project car. I took them apart and the vacuum seals look good but not perfect as in new..

Questions are:

a. Any source for the seals? Either the ones that ride on end of the shaft or the one a the top of the tube.

b. Were the outsides of the tubes painted? If so, what color?
c. What type of lubricant (oil or grease) was used inside of the tubes?

d. Any source for the metal lines that serves the vacuum to the cylinders?

Thanks,

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Owing to the absence of anyone coming to my rescue on the question of lubrication of the vacuum top tubes of the 41 cabriolet and the fact that the 1941 shop manual doesn't seem to cover the topic, I have made a decision based on inference as described below:

a. The knee action shocks use "shock absorber fluid further described in the manual as "shock insolation fluid."

b. The manual indicates that this shock insolation fluid is what is used in the vacuum shift to lubricate the "leathers."

c. I think that the same material is used in the top cylinders, vacuum shift and shocks owing to the notion that all three use neoprene. And none use leather. (Maybe the early vacuum shift and top cylinders did. Don't know.)

d. Using the superior brain-poser of someone who has chosen wisely chosen as to what year among all the old Chevrolets is supremely best (1941, of course) I have come to the conclusion that if this shocks and the vacuum assist may use shock absorber/insulating fluid then the stinkin' top cylinders can too.

e. I am going to wipe/clean out the top cylinders and coat the walls and the neoprene surfaces with shock fluid.

Question before I do this: What do you all think of my reasoning? (Despite a demonstrated total lack a favorable choosing for your year to be stuck with, 37 and 38ers positive (dig deep) input is welcome.) dance Agrin

Chipper, Mike and Gene, et al: I think you know some good advice on this issue but for whatever reason have left me to founder in trouble waters! What say ye? Stinkers! Agrin

Thanks a heap for any advice.

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Shock fluid filled the system - which makes the hydralics work. You need it only for lubrication and I think modern jack oil could be a better choice rather than70 year old shock fluid that may have turned to something evil.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Thanks, Gene,

I've got some of that too;

Best,

Charlie computer

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Charlie

Different Mike. You didn't include me as I have a '40 of which the '41 is merely a 'follow-on and refinement" as the big design changes were made from the '39 to the '40. Anyway, I recently (20 years ago) had problems with my vacuum shift actuator and used shock oil provided by Apple when they rebuilt my shocks to clean and lube the actuator. It is still working as it should. If I didn't have any jack oil I would use ATF or even neets foot oil would most likely work. Several years ago I also used the shock oil in my windshield motor when it dried out and started leaking around the blade and it has worked good ever since.

Just went out and checked the shock oil and it sure looks and smells like hyd jack oil. So i'm with Gene. Your car looks good. I've never had mine disassembled that far nor do I want to nor do I envy you. I'm at that stage in life where anything you have to bend over much or get on the floor to do is either going to be hired done or not done at all.

Mike
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Mike,

Good to hear from you. The best thing about the 1940, even after all those improvements, was the Shark Teeth rims. They beautify any car they can fit on. Do too!

As to the lift tanks, I'm going to use the jack oil.

As to the down to the bare bones of the body on the cabriolet, I"m having a 20 year school trained body do the work. He is perticular to a fault and a master of what he does on my car.

It will be sold with a few things to do yet on it but I'm going lower the price to a level that will tempt those who want a 41 cabriolet and able to so some finishing up on it. I will not be a basket case, just unfinished for paint, upholstry, glass and a few odds and ends.

Thanks for your reply and best wishes,

Charlie computer

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.