Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#440807 04/08/20 07:20 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi everyone. New to the forum. I have a 1940 Chevrolet Special Deluxe that doesnt seem to have any fuel moving to the carborator. I opened the glass dish above the fuel pump and dry as a bone. So before I start taking things apart that I have never tried before - any tips ? will assume that the system needs to be primed - if so - how. also - the gasket between the glass upside down bowl and mating surface is solid - will assume replacement ? Thanks

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
It sounds like there is no fuel even getting to the pump.

I suggest you need to start with the simple things. Is there enough gas in the tank? If the tank was empty and you only added a gallon that might not be enough to reach the fuel outlet.

Is there a shut-off valve at the tank outlet? If so, is it open?

I would disconnect the fuel line going to the fuel pump. Then take a piece of hose that fits over that fuel line. Remove the fuel cap and blow through that hose. You should hear bubbles in the tank.

Let us know what you determine.

If you can get gas to flow to the pump then I expect the pump needs rebuilt or replaced.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Iff there is gas in the tank the fuel tank pick=up could be rusted off, gas line pluged-up or bad fuel pump.
To prime pour about 2 OZ of gas into the carb. throat and try.

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Yes you need to replace the gasket between the glass bowl and the fuel pump body with a new one. Remember that it is much easier to suck air than gas, so the seal must be air tight as the pump or it will not pull any gas. Use a new cork gasket. Tom

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
How long has the fuel been in the tank ? If very long , I suggest cleaning the tank and blowing out the fuel lines and putting fresh fuel in there before trying to start the engine . First hand experience here !! Caused stuck valves and bent push rods . Also if the fuel lines are rusted and have small holes rusted thru , it will suck air instead of fuel .

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Originally Posted by kfnut
How long has the fuel been in the tank ? If very long , I suggest cleaning the tank and blowing out the fuel lines and putting fresh fuel in there before trying to start the engine . First hand experience here !! Caused stuck valves and bent push rods .
X2

Attached Images
IM000919.JPG

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
BillChevy40,

All who have responded have given you sound advice based on what you posted, How long has the car been sitting, last ran, etc.

Using the advice given and if it were mine and with no assumptions, I would do the following in order as follows:

a. Check the fuel gage with the ignition switch on and see if it registers any fuel.

b, If it does then have someone crank the engine over while you watch the pump for fuel.

c. If there is no appearance of fuel , then go to the tank inlet pipe and run something like a piece of garden hose and check to make sure the tank does have fuel.

d. Take the line from the tank to the fuel pump and put your finger on the inlet side while someone cranks the engine over, There should be suction noted at your finger.

e. Blow back through the line to the tank.

f. Still nothing then you can assume you need a new fuel pump. There are cheaper ones than rebuilt ones with the glass bowls. Although not correct they will work just as well.

As to short piece of garden hose you could check with Tiny who probably has had experience with such a device years ago. When in a hurry the garden hose made filling a gas can faster than using a smaller one. The county school busses were excellent for borrowing enough for the guys to ride around for quite a while, He;ll enlighten you on his experiences in the dead of night. Those were the days. Fortunately the statute of limitations has run out on such small infractions of law. beermugs dance Agrin

The above advice is nothing more than what others have posted. The order is flexible. After each analysis valuable information is realized which will prompt other tests. The idea is to isolate the problem by identifying the things that are NOT giving rise to the problem,

Best of luck,

Charlie computer

BTW: When doing anything to the car where flammables (gasoline n this case) is involved, take the car out in the yard away from anything of value (clothes line, bird houses, etc) and have a contingency plan or dealing with fire. This last part is about fighting fire is optional. After all, it's only a 1940. Agrin

BTW2: To BB. That all capital letter "not" was for emphasis only and not no stinkin;' shout or yell. Twerent either! Agrin

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.